Diagnosing roasting defects on baby roaster (FZ-RR-700)

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Tia93

#1: Post by Tia93 »

Hello, I'm fairly new to home roasting, so I don't really have that much experience, but I cannot get ahold of some beans I bought a few days ago. I took this picture - hope you can see anything - with three different roasts I made. The first one on the left is a Colombia Supremo (quite cheap beans, not Specialty, don't know much about them, maybe even past crop, etc), took to SC, everything looks fine, haven't tasted yet, but based on previous roast, they should be just fine. Then there are two Costa Rica, Candelilla and San Guillermo, both bought from here (https://idscoffee.wordpress.com/category/coffee/ - now they show only one of the two, but I have pretty much the same problem with both). Based on the pic, what wrong with the other two roasts? They are not even, not even close. The first batch of the middle roast in the pic I tried came something like that, I tried to slow things down in the roast as we're talking about a soft bean, but it didn't really help. San Guillermo is not supposed to be a soft bean, so I used my regular profile (something like: try to get some smoke out of there in the first 6 minutes, then the first pops of FC between 9 and 11, then FC rolling in a minute or so, and then I dump 1.30-2 minutes later. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Problems with drying phase? Not enough heat somewhere? Too much somewhere else?
Thank you very much for your help.
Mattia

popeye

#2: Post by popeye »

unfortunately your picture is difficult to see (and pictures in general are difficult). What are you trying to show with the picture?
Spencer Weber

Advertisement
Tia93 (original poster)

#3: Post by Tia93 (original poster) replying to popeye »

Thank you for your reply :)
Actually it's a lot worse then I thought, on the computer I can get some differences. Basically, I'm afraid that the middle and the right batch are not correctly developed, but I don't know how to tell so. They look small (the size of when they were green), color is not the same in the batch and within the beans, etc. Problem is, I don't know how to change so as less heat and longer roast didn't change it (and maybe even stalled it and they are baked, I'm not sure how to tell).
I'll try with some others, as I think pictures are hard when telling the degree of the roast, but for defects, I understood a lot from articles with pics.
Thank you!