HG one adjusted past the zero point

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
seeds

#1: Post by seeds »

I'm not smart with new things. I just got my HG One yesterday, and am reading the instructions that came with. I'm trying to reach the zero point and notice when I'm rotating the burr mount clockwise the handle is turning. My brain says, "I can hold the burr mount and just rotate the handle". Well after doing this and basically turning the handle until it won't go further (not using much pressure), I realize it doesn't say to do it like this. I realize that when I hand tighten the burr mount it tightens significantly less as far. So I then realized I was grinding the burrs together going past the zero point, and I saw metal dust (TIN) shavings on the platform under the burrs.

So I'm worried I damaged the burrs doing this. My hopes are there is a portion where they meet that doesn't actually grind the coffee. My fear is I damaged or did some major wear and tear on this part of the burr.

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

The burrs are designed so the grinding surfaces never touch. This was stated by Craig (of his own accord as it wasn't something I asked him specifically).

Generally, the zero point is when the burrs first touch (aka the handle moves). It's very important to make sure the burrs are clean and there is no coffee residue (as this will cause the handle to move prematurely). Craig says he sits in a quiet room and just listens for noises but I find that too challenging as I don't have the best hearing and the grinder makes plenty of noises anyways. Also, make sure you don't go past zero with the alignment screws loosened as this will cause the burr carrier to rise (and thus no longer be level and the burrs are lopsided).

That's more than you asked but these points usually come up in any hgone discussion about alignment (why else would you be looking for the zero point :wink: ).

Advertisement
seeds (original poster)

#3: Post by seeds (original poster) »

Thanks so much for this reply, and easing my concerns.

Barb
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Barb »

I am still not certain where the Zero point is. Luckily an HB friend,in my home some months ago turned the burr mount all the way counterclockwise until it did not move anymore and then turned it clockwise and found the espresso range
I am not able to use the cute braille markings to guide me - they don't work for me, alas

I had to clear the grinder from a clog of coffee(damp grounds which clung)and so turned the burr mount all the way counterclockwise until i saw a separation between the burrs and saw through the burrs to my countertop...( I thought counterclockwise brought the burrs together ?)
Cleared the clog and turned burrs back clockwise to grind fine for espresso

So, like the OP I am not certain where Zero point is but I have a nice tight grind and that is what I wanted

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by Terranova »

brianl wrote:The burrs are designed so the grinding surfaces never touch. This was stated by Craig
This must have been a statement on april fools day or so.
It would mean in translation, that you can build whatever you want, the conical burrs will center anyway.
Barb wrote:I am still not certain where the Zero point is.
You reach the zero point when the burrs touch which should also be the finest grind setting.
If you cannot grind fine enough because the cutting parts are already touching, then your grind setting will be sub zero for a proper flow rate which means that there is a massive alignment issue.
The particle size range will be much wider than it already is on a conical grinder, thus the espresso will be a greater mix out of over an under extraction making it kind of impossible to find the sweet spot.

brianl

#6: Post by brianl »

I'm sure I misheard then.

Barb
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Barb »

Makes sense as turning totally counterclockwise separates the burrs.
But as I recall he HG One instructions talk of turning counterclockwise to get to zero point

Confused :)

Advertisement
keno

#8: Post by keno »

Barb wrote:Makes sense as turning totally counterclockwise separates the burrs.
But as I recall he HG One instructions talk of turning counterclockwise to get to zero point

Confused :)
Yes, refer to the HG One instructions here.
HG One wrote:Set the grinder to the zero point.

Lift the locking ring until it just clears the pins on the burr collar. While holding the locking ring, rotate the burr mount clockwise until the burrs softly touch. This is the zero-point of the grinder.

Barb
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Barb »

OMG
I had it backwards :(

Thanks HG One for straightening me out.
I have a grind I like producing espresso which tastes good to me