Artisan and TMD-56 with Windows

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
sight

#1: Post by sight »

I am trying to get my TMD-56 to run with Artisan. I plugged in the 56 and no drivers or anything were installed. Is there any way to check if there is communication between the unit and my computer? Additionally is there a way to download and install the correct drivers?

When I run Artisan I just get an "Unable to open Serial port" message.

Kfir

#2: Post by Kfir »

Stereo Heathen

#3: Post by Stereo Heathen »

Also, be certain that the meter itself it set to channel zero. On the TMD-56 this is done by holding down the "T1-T2" (bottom right) button and power button simultaneously, until the unit beeps and its screen shows "0.0".
I had issues with this when I installed the manufacturer's own driver software, even after it had worked with Artisan previously.

sight (original poster)

#4: Post by sight (original poster) »

I have tried both what Stereo Heathen you are saying by setting it to 0.0 as well as Kfir I tried; but to be honest I am not sure if I was successful in installing the drivers. I downloaded the executable and ran it but I didn't see any changes under device manager.

The google link is kinda not really helpful as it just says to do it not really how or more importantly how to check the drivers were loaded correctly. I am trying to determine if it is a software issue or if it is my device or my cable or anything really.

Do either of you know a way to check and see if there is any communication between my TMD-56 and my computer?

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

Is there any way to check if there is communication between the unit and my computer?
Now this has nothing to do with Artisan (an obviously fine program) but your TMD-56 should have come with software and two Type K thermocouples.

Load the software (included with your TMD-56) onto your PC and attach the thermocouples to the TMD-56. Immerse one of the thermocouples in a glass of hot water and the other just in plain air. Set the time interval to 1 second and start recording by pressing the shift key and then the log key on the TMD-56. After a minute or so, stop logging by pressing the log key and then pressing the shift key.

Start the software program and see if you can retrieve the data you recorded. This will confirm (or not :( ) communication between the TMD-56 and your computer. Hope this helps.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Arpi

#6: Post by Arpi »

sight wrote:I have tried both what Stereo Heathen you are saying by setting it to 0.0 as well as Kfir I tried; but to be honest I am not sure if I was successful in installing the drivers. I downloaded the executable and ran it but I didn't see any changes under device manager.
After installing the driver, you should see changes only when you plug the TMD56. That is, if the device is unplug (usb), there is no serial port created in the device manager.

Cheers