A day's journey aboard the Caravel - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
grog

#11: Post by grog »

The 45mm PV basket doesn't fit the stock Caravel PFs. Some folks have modified PV PFs to fit the Caravel, though.

There are straight walled double baskets that came with the early VAMs, but it appears those were abandoned by the time the Caravel 1.0 appeared. I have one and can attest that it is more finicky than the more common sloped wall double. As far as the triple, there are definitely multiple photos on the Arrarex Caravel mega thread of a larger sloped wall double that a few people have.
LMWDP #514

cuppajoe

#12: Post by cuppajoe »

Thanks, in the spirit of KISS I'll just keep working with the standard double. Unless one of those larger doubles falls from the sky... I sent Francesco the photos of the basket lineups showing the straight walled double and the "triple", but he was unfamiliar with both. The original VAM is probably unobtanium and the triple not OEM.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

Advertisement
peacecup (original poster)

#13: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

Yes, I forgot to mention that I have a custom bottomless PF ' the PV baskets fit right in, but I need to file a tiny bit off the raised rim edges.

I've been trying to break out the VAM more often now and finding it fun. Still can't get the perfect shots like I got with my former Caravel. Not sure if it is the basket shape or some other factor. But all the shots taste great.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

grog

#14: Post by grog »

I have one of the first series VAMs and a Caravel 1.0 (per Francesco's nomenclature) and there is a subtle but noticeable difference in the shots. I think it is due to the early VAM's lack of hole in the piston face, which makes for spongy pulls sometimes. Others have postulated that the double row of water outlet holes in VAM boilers is challenging (relative to Caravels with one row of holes in the boiler).
LMWDP #514

peacecup (original poster)

#15: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

Mine is a VAm with a hole in the piston face and a single row of holes in the piston inlet in the boiler. Go figure. The piston has the solid brass ball joint which is an impressive piece of work. I have new seals from Kurt August which seem to seal well but I still get a little color in the boiler water. No coffee grinds though. On my Caravel 1.0 or so I seldom got color in the water.

I never used a bottomless PF with the Caravel so I could not see how the pours looked. With the VAM if I grind and dose to get a nice even cone pour it feels like too little pressure. If I try finer I get hard drips rather than a soild cone. Need to keep experimenting, but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."