Opinions on Breville Smart Grinder Pro - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
cmin

#11: Post by cmin »

elChupaKen wrote:It might be a bit old but it seems like it does the job. But if you can offer a suggestion for machines in that price range I'm open to suggestions.
Modded my friends to be step less, still was not good for espresso. I actually bought a Preciso over it when I started and glad I did, Rocky was frustrating to use and compensating with dose when beans can change daily as they age is beyond annoying lol. It's at an odd price point but there are grinders below and above it, I mean my Vario cost more but curb stomps a Rocky. A refurbished Vario is like 380 + shipping or something like that.

mikeness

#12: Post by mikeness »

I'm not too sure what has lead you to believe that "it does the job," but it really doesn't :?

My first grinder was a Smart Grinder Pro that I got on sale. While I never owned the Rocky, I was able to demo it in store and found myself to be way happier with the Smart Grinder. Will the Breville last as long? Heck no. But it doesn't need to because you'll eventually upgrade either grinder anyways...

Given that the Breville is available in a number of "big box stores," you can generally get it for a steal on an aggressive pricing day - got mine nearly 50% off after all the rebates. I ended up returning my Breville months later for a full refund (never seen customer service that accommodating) to buy a Vario, which was like night and day... but for an additional $300+, it's supposed to be!

Not sure what price you're looking at for the Rocky, but I would suggest you save some money by going the Breville route because I have found it to be a very competent grinder, or bump up to the Vario for a different experience in the cup. Either way, don't think I'm alone in saying this, don't buy the dinosaur Rocky.

kmw

#13: Post by kmw »

cmin wrote:Modded my friends to be step less, still was not good for espresso. I actually bought a Preciso over it when I started and glad I did, Rocky was frustrating to use and compensating with dose when beans can change daily as they age is beyond annoying lol. It's at an odd price point but there are grinders below and above it, I mean my Vario cost more but curb stomps a Rocky. A refurbished Vario is like 380 + shipping or something like that.
I had a rocky and was somewhat happy. The Preciso is recommended over the Rocky for espresso grind settings, but it isn't as durable.

I didn't know about the stepless mod. My main issue with the rocky was the stepped adjustment. Depending on the bean, one step could make a massive change, and sometimes I wanted a step in between. For the most part I was happy. If I were to do it again though, I think I'd get a Preciso instead.

cmin

#14: Post by cmin replying to kmw »

In general people that were happy with it years ago just didn't know better (no offense meant). My friend was like that, thought the gushers and chokers he was pulling was how espresso was, till I helped him lol. It is built strong, but means nothing to me when it fails at what it should be used for (espresso).

elChupaKen (original poster)

#15: Post by elChupaKen (original poster) »

Well the Baratza preciso looks appealing based on features and price.

cmin

#16: Post by cmin replying to elChupaKen »

I used mine a ton, sometimes multiple times daily for a few years, not uncommon to replace the burr carrier and adjustment ring once a year which is cheap and easy to do but something to keep in mind. Though this kinda applies to all grinders, the trick with the Preciso is to always make adjustments whether Macro or Micro with the power on even if hopper is empty, I played around with it for the hell of it and not doing that throws settings out of wack for whatever reason or causes early failing of parts like the adjustment ring or burr carrier. The burr carrier is plastic, but its a fail safe, it'll crack if there is a jam or a tiny rock etc, which happened to me, some people look down on that but its better to replace a few $ part then to risk a burr or motor or gears etc. If you can save a bit more and swing a Vario (also own) thats the one to get, not only sturdier, but in the cup results are equal to grinders in the $700-850 price range like the SJ, K6 etc.