New Pharos issue-stiff locking collar

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
OldNick

#1: Post by OldNick »

I've just received my new OE Pharso and dialed it in for an espresso grind, my first grind was too fine for my Europiccola, so I attempted to loosen the split collar screw to make the grind coarser, but the nut wont move and seems to be locked in place.

Is there a trick to loosening the nut, as I was able to loosen and tighten it initially to make my first adjustment from the shipped zero position ?

Thanks

Nick

spressomon

#2: Post by spressomon »

Without seeing a photo of the locking collar...I can only assume they are using a socket hex head ("Allen") style fastener to hold the collar tight to the shaft. So get the appropriate size socket hex head wrench and loosen the bolt just a little until the collar can be rotated yet remain tight when grinding...
No Espresso = Depresso

Advertisement
OldNuc

#3: Post by OldNuc »

First the locking allen screw must be loosened sufficiently that it will turn easily. Do not use pliers on it. Use the allen wrench provided with the grinder.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by hankua »

It's just need to break in a bit. You can wrap some tape around the thread and use a wrench (very carefully) or find a metric nut and lock the axle down to the handle, make a gadget to clamp the axle, etc. I would "tune up" the locking collar a bit, maybe with a screwdriver in the gap, and make sure the threads are not catching in the small allen thread hole.

OldNick (original poster)

#5: Post by OldNick (original poster) »

Thanks for your comments, all is now fine, just needed a bigger hex driver to loosen the nut. Having now used the Pharos in anger, it deserves its reputation and allows the user to make espresso just shy of my favourite cafe in Roma

OldNuc

#6: Post by OldNuc »

Once it is broken in you will find it is even better.