Shot in 13 seconds even at grinder's finest setting? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
estib

#11: Post by estib »

spetri wrote:I'm thinking I need to replace Rocky's burrs. I have the grind down to 3 on the scale, I can hear the burrs kissing and the shots haven't slowed and the grinds are not a fine powder. I've had the Rocky for 2 years so I guess it's time.

Would a damaged basket be glaringly obvious?

I can ask the guys at NEAT for a few shots worth of coffee ground on their Mazzer to check the shot speed on my machine.

Thanks for all of the help. I'll let you know how it works out.
Most likely the burrs are misaligned, even if the burrs are worn you should be able to grind it to a fine powder. As others suggested try doing the teflon tape mod, this will reduce any wobble and improve burr alignment.

spetri (original poster)

#12: Post by spetri (original poster) »

I really think the problem is Rocky's burrs. After cleaning and using the Teflon tape trick Rocky went down to One before the burrs started kissing at Zero. Before the tightest I could go was Three.

I managed to pack 22.7g into the double basket and pulled a 36g shot in 22 seconds. Better but still too quick considering Rocky was grinding as tight as it could. I've ordered new burrs and hoping that does the trick.

Grinder, grinder, grinder, LOL.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Stephen

Randy G.

#13: Post by Randy G. »

If you are going to replace the burrs anyway, and the burrs aren't making nasty noises while actually grinding beans, go one more click. Why not? Burrs "kissing" and burrs "rubbing hard" are two different things (very much like my days in high school). The coffee between them pushes the burrs apart slightly.

I will add, that with new burrs in Rocky it might be a good selling point and time for you to upgrade.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

spetri (original poster)

#14: Post by spetri (original poster) replying to Randy G. »

I did as you suggested and with a 22g dose I'm getting reasonable extraction times and a decent shot. Thanks for all the help.
Stephen