Artisan and TC4 0.9.3+ Issue

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
JavaBuzz

#1: Post by JavaBuzz »

Experiencing an error with Artisan and a TC4. I think it's just an error message that can be safely ignored, but thought I'd see if anyone else has thoughts or has seen the issue.

Ever since 0.9.3 was released, I receive the following error message when turning on temperature monitoring in Artisan (this includes the current 0.9.7):
Exception: ser.ARDUINOTC4temperature(): list index out of range @line 26195

I do not receive the error if running Artisan 0.9.2. I think maybe 0.9.2 waits a little longer for the TC4 to fully initialize?

ADDITIONAL DETAILS:
At first BT and ET show -1.0 in the Artisan LCD, but then a couple seconds later they start operating normally and show the correct temperature. I am also monitoring inputs 3/4/5 (MET/Ambient Temp / TC4 Temp). Input 6 is not used (NULL). Temp data for inputs 3/4/5 always show info in the Artisan LCDs right away; just inputs 1/2 seem to have slow initialization issues (at least looking at the Artisan LCDs).

I have tried doing a Factory Reset in Artisan and still see the issue. If I unplug all the temp probes from the TC4, I still receive this error.

If I turn on the Serial logger in Artisan (under Help > Serial), and then click the ON button, I noticed the very first TC4 poll/reading usually does not pull temperatures for all sensors, but the second reading is successful (NOTE: the last reading should be 0.00, it's an unused input):

2 EXAMPLE SERIAL READINGS:
2 23:10:57.303 ArduinoTC4 :COM5,115200,8,N,1,1 || Tx = READ || Rx = [u'81.7', u'78.5', u'78.3', u'78.3', u'72.9']|| Ts= 78.50, 78.30, 78.30, 72.90, 81.70, 0.00

1 23:10:54.934 ArduinoTC4 :COM5,115200,8,N,1,1 || Tx = READ || Rx = [u'81.7', u'78.4', u'78.5']|| Ts= 78.40, 78.50, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

------
Does this seem like anything to worry about? Has anyone else experienced this? As I mentioned, after a couple seconds the issue appears to correct itself and all the temp probes appear to be functioning.

MaKoMo

#2: Post by MaKoMo »

Thanks for this detailed report. I assume this is caused by the startup delay of the Arduino. On serial connect (via most platforms; at least on OS X) an Arduino will do a reset. It takes a moment for it to receive serial data depending on the exact firmware it runs. The timing on the Artisan side might have changed (or that of the firmware). I will investigate this using my TC4 and improve the situation for the next version.

Anyhow, this is nothing to worry about as Artisan will just re-try to connect as you discovered. Once connected things should be smooth in any case. So please regard this more as a cosmetic issue for now.

JavaBuzz (original poster)

#3: Post by JavaBuzz (original poster) »

Thanks Makomo!

I was pretty sure that was the case, but wanted to make sure it wasn't maybe some strange hardware-related issue (and figured it didn't hurt to report and see if anyone else had experienced it). It is interesting that the problem seems to go away if I downgrade to 0.9.2.

If, down the road, you could use a tester (or would like some additional info on my Arduino/TC4/etc), feel free to let me know. My Arduino/TC4 is only a few months old (purchase-wise) and the Arduino should be an official one. I'm currently running Artisan on Windows 7. Could test on Linux with a little effort too.

Really appreciate the great Artisan software!

MaKoMo

#4: Post by MaKoMo »

Thanks for your offer to help working this out with some testing on your side. You have a PM pointing to a new build that might resolve this issue (although I have no clear understanding what is going wrong here yet).

Marko

JavaBuzz (original poster)

#5: Post by JavaBuzz (original poster) »

Thanks Marko.

Did some testing and sent a reply with some additional information back to you. Looks like the error message has disappeared in the test build you linked.

MaKoMo

#6: Post by MaKoMo replying to JavaBuzz »

Thanks for this and your detailed reports. So I close that case.