Strong powerful shot, but weakish milk drink?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
beanhacker

#1: Post by beanhacker »

Just dialing in a new set up, Profitec 700, Compak K3. I'm only on day two, maybe have run 10 shots through that are in the 25-30sec 2oz range. The grinder gave me hell for a while, such as I would get it dialed in and 24hrs later it was clogged or would not grind at all. I took it apart and cleaned it and seem to have gotten it going but still feels way erratic compared to a mazzer mini I once had. I'm weighing dose and sometimes a large increment or tiny increment on this grinder has wildly different results! It's frustrating. It was a demo model and I'm debating whether to return it today as they have a used mini in the shop for similar price. I'm using locally roasted beans, probably only rested 2 days so still a bit too fresh. I pulled a decent shot this morning and on sipping the shot it was hella strong, almost made my eyes pop out in a good way. I thought I was getting somewhere, but the resulting flatwhite was bland though which surprised the hell out of me. I did get some more flavour out of the coffee when lowering brew temp to 91c (PID). I am dosing 16.5gms with stock basket (not sure of make). Puck does seem a bit wet, definitely not a solid puck being knocked out. The Profitec is a beast, gloriously built but so far I have not gotten this combo on par with my last rig a few years ago (domobar junior, mazzer mini). Brew pressure is around 10bar on the gauge so I assume 9 at head and 8.5ish at puck. I know a barista at the local farmers market and will see him tomorrow, I think I need to get an experienced barista over here to help me dial this sucker in. I am sure the potential is there, but maybe the grinder is letting me down, it just feels like something is off there..

erik82

#2: Post by erik82 »

Going from a Mazzer Mini to a Compak K3 isn't a step forward but would maybe even be a small step backwards. I really don't like the K3 and also don't like the Mini manual with the small 58mm burrs. There just capable of a mediocre espresso but will never get really good. They will be your limiting factor be far. If you're talking about a Mini E and SJ burrs in it then where talking.

Some coffees just don't work with milk. A while ago I had a really sweet an lovely natural Ethiopian. It was wonderful as espresso but when I poured milk in it it went sour and tasted just awfull.

beanhacker (original poster)

#3: Post by beanhacker (original poster) »

Guys, problem solved and then some :)

I returned the K3 for a like new second hand Mazzer Mini. Grinding returned to completely predictable, 3rd shot perfect and 2-3 more after that perfect. Mind blowing flavour coming through, I'm in heaven :) Then went to a larger Faema basket over stock and upped the dose a bit. Now we're 'there', easily equaling and surpassing drinks at my favorite local espresso joints. The Profitec 700 seems fool proof, I hit shot after shot but with my previous e61s I could often knock a shot in the bunker or water, this thing is repeatable big time. Lastly the milk.. my milk has never been so stellar. A few second stretch, sink the tip a bit and mad swirl kicks in to a paint like finish. Stoked :)