Impress Coffee Brewer, Paper Filtered - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jpender

#21: Post by jpender »

Yes, maybe that's it. But can you really back that up? Is there strong evidence that a declining temperature profile is a problem? I don't think so.

I'm really just trying to hijack westgl's thread because the filter paper experiments are boring. :-)

westgl (original poster)

#22: Post by westgl (original poster) »

I picked up another brewing device, a Pour Over, made by Primula Pour Over Glass brewer with a double filtered Stainless steel cone basket.

The Stainless Steel cone basket has a very fine SS mesh screen on top of a SS cone with very small holes in it.

The Glass is Borosilicate, it does have some plastic BUT! that plastic does NOT come in contact with any coffee/water, so it passes my no plastic in contact with beverage rule.

The Glass Cone is a single Hole and drains slowly, it looks kind of similar to a hario v60.

I used a slow pour over with water not getting any higher than the grinds at any time.

I Really like the Stainless Steel double filter cone it is well made, No Paper Filters are needed, But you Could use a paper filter if you wanted to.

Easy clean up.

It makes a Great cup of coffee!!! I wish my Frieling French Press could do this.
Pasquini Livia G4,BES870XL,EC155, Pour Over's, Impress, AeroPress, French Press

Advertisement
westgl (original poster)

#23: Post by westgl (original poster) »

yakster wrote:You could be getting close to the answer here. The temperature of the slurry during the course of extraction will affect the outcome, take a look at the lengths people go to such as Todd Carmichael and his Dragon brewer to control the temperature during the extraction along with vac pots and the Steampunk brewer as examples.
If it is the temperature being controlled better and held high during brew time for the Impress, then that really makes me wonder in regards to my Frieling dual wall thermal French Press that i always preheat, and cup too, but not coming close to the Impress or the AeroPress for taste in the cup, AeroPress is Not Insulated and plastic, it must be losing a lot of heat, and AeroPress with it's lower water brew temp.

yea this is probably extremely Boring for you guys that have been there done that, but Being a newbie, i am trying figure out best brew recipe for each of my coffee brewers.

westgl (original poster)

#24: Post by westgl (original poster) »

I really like my Impress Coffee Brewer and Also really Like my Primula Pour Over Coffee Brewer.

What if I were to take the Impress or another thermal mug, and put a adjustable Brass Fitting/flow Control into the bottom, of the Impress.

Then attach a short Coil of Brass Tubing coming out of the fitting in the bottom of the Impress that makes a loop around to wet near the outside of the Coffee Grinds of my Pour Over, with the last part of the coil passing straight over the middle of the pour over.

I would drill some very small holes maybe start with 1/32" holes in the small coil and slightly larger holes in the section that passes over the center 1/16" as a little more Hot water would be needed in the center, then adjust the flow of everything with the brass fitting flow control.

Pour in the 12 ounces or how ever much you want, Hot water into the Impress, Put the Lid On, to keep the heat in with the Flow control valve already adjusted to your liking, It would Be Pour over timed slow Brewing, Probably just need a 30 second bloom first, then start it and Walk away, no need to stand by it and do a slow pour over.

I'm probably just over thinking it, and should spent my time more wisely, like drinking more coffee.

jpender

#25: Post by jpender »

I tried doing a pull with an Aeropress paper filter and the filter wouldn't stay put. A metal filter did better. But the Impress isn't easy to pull. There's nothing to grip properly.

So then I cut a little ring from a silicone sheet and used that to hold an Aeropress paper filter in the bottom, for normal pressing. That works like a charm. Clean coffee, not a trace of sediment. I just have to remember fish the ring out before I discard the grounds.

I'm not terribly impressed with the Impress. It is destined to join my percolator in the coffee brewing device purgatory at the back of the lower kitchen cabinet. I just bought a new Aeropress for travel use.