What's stopping me from converting a Baratza Encore to a Precisio?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dilin

#1: Post by dilin »

Hi guys,

There are two reasons why I would consider this:
1) Where I live (Malaysia), the Precisio is 2.5x more expensive than the Encore,
2) When comparing the Parts List, it *seems* that the Precisio only has around 6 extra items in the gear/burr assembly, and another couple in the chassis.

What I am thinking now, I can just order the spare parts from Baratza (I'm assuming, these won't actually cost more than I would pay for a used Precisio here), deliver them halfway across the world, and assemble them myself to get a faux Precisio? I am handy with tools, and I am quite confident of performing all of Baratza's YouTube instructions.

Comments?

Almico

#2: Post by Almico »

I would be surprised if it were cost effective to buy parts separately, yet have the "whole" come out cheaper.

It's equally hard to believe that you could build a Preciso cheaper than Baratza can, when they buy the parts bulk and you're buying them one off.

Use Precisos are going for $200 on eBay. I just listed mine.

stephan

#3: Post by stephan »

Usually shipping is around 30$. Especially if you buy with something else, that can be bearable.

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by pizzaman383 »

I have a Baratza Virtuouso that I converted to a Preciso burr carrier. I bought mine years before the Preciso model came out and I was doing upgrades as I replaced the hurts. It was a real pain because the grinders case is metal but it worked out well. It makes a big difference in the adjustability that's needed for espresso And the parts cost was very modest.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

dilin (original poster)

#5: Post by dilin (original poster) »

Thank you for all your responses, I appreciate them.

I'm mainly concerned with fines with the Encore burr set. I may purchase the Preciso cone burr and the drive shaft (the Encore drive shaft has a wing nut, it may or may not be interchangable), and also the metal base for added stability during grinding.