Using "Espresso Beans" for Regular Brewed Coffee? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
LukeFlynn

#11: Post by LukeFlynn »

A lot of roasters are moving away from segregating their coffees as Espressos. Basically any high end roaster has a blend, but they rarely market it as purely espresso. Seems like I rarely see a coffee blatantly named espresso.. I believe this is one of the reasons Counter Culture renamed a lot of their yearly coffees last year. Big Trouble is great as just about anything in my experience.

9 times out of 10 If you walk into any coffee bar they are always serving some high end single origin that is fairly light, I guess that's third wave for you. ;) Me personally, I prefer lighter roasts for pour overs, and a bit darker for espresso.

localh85

#12: Post by localh85 »

Am I the only one who doesn't like big trouble? I'm new to so called high end espresso, but I basically had to throw half a pound out, I didn't like the flavor one bit.

I didn't make it wrong I don't think, a local espresso bar serves it and it tasted just as bad.

Eastsideloco

#13: Post by Eastsideloco »

You're probably not the only one...but I've had great shots with this espresso. Seems pretty middle of the road to me. Not super traditional; not super third wave. It's usually pretty complex in the cup, without being challenging.

(The cafe that serves this in Austin always has two espresso offerings on a daily basis, and they offer a $5 'twofer.' I usually prefer the single origin alternative over the Big Trouble, which is usually but not always a blend. But both shots are always tasty.)

SonVolt (original poster)

#14: Post by SonVolt (original poster) »

localh85 wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't like big trouble? I'm new to so called high end espresso, but I basically had to throw half a pound out, I didn't like the flavor one bit.

I didn't make it wrong I don't think, a local espresso bar serves it and it tasted just as bad.

As far as I know, Big Trouble is your chocolate bombs without the sourness of typical 3rd wave espressos. Maybe you like brighter (more sour) blends?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Nunas »

I've always understood that there is no such thing as an espresso coffee bean, or espresso blend, despite the descriptions some retail vendors place on their coffee. I deal mostly with Burman and Sweet Maria's; each has their own recommendations in their descriptions that sometimes say "good for espresso", but I've never noticed any that said "only good for espresso". Likewise with the roast, there is no such thing as an "espresso roast", again despite the monikers that some vendors place on their products (*bucks used to have one...maybe still does). When I was in Europe for some time many years ago, I had my first espresso; the beans were not heavily roasted. But, on returning to NA, and buying espresso, the roasts used were decidedly darker. Now it seems, nearly anything goes over here. Since we roast all our own coffee and usually drink espresso-based drinks, we generally buy SO and blends recommended by the vendor as being suitable for espresso and usually roast them to about Full City (i.e., typical European espresso). But, we use them in all our other coffee makers (we've got one of nearly every sort). Works for us.

Cheers,
Maurice

Eastsideloco

#16: Post by Eastsideloco »

SonVolt wrote:As far as I know, Big Trouble is your chocolate bombs without the sourness of typical 3rd wave espressos.
Exactly. Last time I had it I'm pretty sure it was a SO natural-processed Ethiopian. (If not, it prominently featured a natural Ethiopian.) So it was low in acidity, with some berry or dried fruit layered with the chocolates.

wearashirt

#17: Post by wearashirt »

Counter Culture advocates any-coffee-any-brew probably because they have the equipment. Hi-tech pre-brew/pre-infuse, PID's on every corner, gravimetric brew programming.....not to mention expensive water filters

Espresso always highlights acidity, so some 'counter culture' blenders may try to incorporate good robusta to add chunkiness.

The HK barista champion and WBC 2nd placer did pre-warm some light roasted Yirgacheffe before brewing as espresso. Incidentally, the Cupping Room branch I had espresso in, HE was the one who did my drink, and it really was Yirgacheffe...as espresso.