Coffees with good chocolate/caramel flavor - Page 10

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Nonineto

#91: Post by Nonineto »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:Been pulling Sweet Blue all week. Got some from idrinkcoffee. It had been a while since I had some. Yum.

Mostly pulling in 1:1.5 range. 18g in (ridgeless VST) and 28 to 31g out. 25 to 28 seconds from first drip with a bottomless. Around 200 -201F, is my best guesstimate since I have an HX and Erics thermometer.

Creamy, full body. And chocolate with some subtle sparkle. Aftertaste reminds me of chocolate fudge ice cream
I assume your pulling sweet blue through an espresso machine and not drip ? Idrinkcoffee recommends drip for sweet blue. I wouldn't mind trying this myself on my londinium. I usually order daterra yellow.

dominico
Team HB

#92: Post by dominico »

Sweet blue makes a fantastic espresso, both when I roasted it myself and when I got it professionally roasted.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Balthazar_B

#93: Post by Balthazar_B replying to dominico »

And it is a great base for espresso blends. I like blending 3 parts Sweet Blue with 1 part Yirg for a nice multidimensional cup.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Christo

#94: Post by Christo »

Ditto on the Acme Motor City Espresso. Super chocolaty. I'm pulling it on a Cremina and the crema is outrageous. And $14.00 for a real, 16 oz pound!! You can't beat the value.

Chris
Chris
LMWDP #476

canuckcoffeeguy

#95: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Nonineto wrote:I assume your pulling sweet blue through an espresso machine and not drip ? Idrinkcoffee recommends drip for sweet blue. I wouldn't mind trying this myself on my londinium. I usually order daterra yellow.
Yes, espresso. I haven't had any for a while now, so maybe it's time to get some!

It works well for any method -- espresso, immersion, brew. Much like any quality Brazilian. Pretty versatile and user friendly.

Having said that, some of the other Daterra beans I've tried are also nice. I like yellow, too.

You're probably one of the lucky few people in Ontario with a Londinium. I can't imagine there are very many around these parts. Must be a nice machine!

Nonineto

#96: Post by Nonineto replying to canuckcoffeeguy »

I should receive my sweet blue today. I have been drinking daterra yellow. Looking forward to pulling some shots with the blue.

I truly enjoy my londinium. It set on a timer and I awake to a warm machine craving to pull creamy shots. Soon I will replace the stainless steel sides with copper hammered sides like the bosco machines. I will post pics once I'm done.

Cheers.

canuckcoffeeguy

#97: Post by canuckcoffeeguy replying to Nonineto »

I remember IDC's Sweet blue needing 4 to 5 days rest. And it was ideal in 7 to 8 or 9 day range. Although it has been a while since I've had any. Before 4 days rest it's very gassy with Co2 overload. Which gives it that carbonic acid bitterness. Another telltale sign is the cone from the bottomless pour will be a really full and pronounced cone. Almost too big looking. Let me know how IDC's Sweet Blue is these days. I might get some again soon since I only live 20 minutes away by car.

dyno

#98: Post by dyno »

Crud. Just ordered a Sette from IDC and didn't know about Sweet Blue which seems right up my alley. :cry:

kingdarb

#99: Post by kingdarb »

I am really enjoying Sweet Blue from IDC right now.

Creepin

#100: Post by Creepin »

Anyone have any further recommendations?

I was going to try the BV Black Canyon, but the follow up post being "Ilk" instead of Snickers in the cup has me worried...

I might have to go with the Acme unless there are some better options. The Snickers seemed like a winner until the reorder by the fellow poster.

Thanks!