Coffees with good chocolate/caramel flavor - Page 11

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
spressomon

#101: Post by spressomon »

Creepin wrote:Anyone have any further recommendations?

I was going to try the BV Black Canyon, but the follow up post being "Ilk" instead of Snickers in the cup has me worried...

I might have to go with the Acme unless there are some better options. The Snickers seemed like a winner until the reorder by the fellow poster.

Thanks!

I haven't bought any BV Black Canyon since earlier this year when the flavor profile drifted.

I recently bought several pounds of Acme's Bali (very light roast level and not anywhere near a "chocolate/caramel bomb") but once again it too is very different than their incredible Bali from 2015. Granted the price is right but I was very surprised to find substantial defects in the lot. And they continue to resist letting customers know, verbal or written on the bags, when it was roasted.

Today I noticed they have yet another roasting profile for their Bali they started offering.
No Espresso = Depresso

Creepin

#102: Post by Creepin »

^

Thanks for the follow up!

Yeah, that's disappointing for ACME. I guess it is best to find a local roaster. It's always a lot easier on the pocket book to avoid shipping and ensure it's roasting date.

I've been to a few near by, but not blown away by anything I've found.

12monkeys

#103: Post by 12monkeys »

I ordered ACME Espresso 3 weeks ago. No roasting date on the bag, but I'm pretty sure it was freshly roasted. I stored half a pound in the freezer, which I've started drinking this week. It's really easy to pull, and the crema is really good. Having said that, up until now I had no luck of getting the "fruit bomb" that the website advertises, and the chocolate flavor is subpar. Maybe, I need to lower a bit the temperature.

MB

#104: Post by MB »

I tried the ACME Motor City Espresso Blend last month in both my L1.0 and Espresso Forge. my experience was similar to 12monkeys's.
LMWDP #472

spressomon

#105: Post by spressomon »

A couple days ago a pound of BV's Black Canyon arrived from my 'Sis & BIL as a Christmas gift. I've got two mornings pulling it on my EspressoForge and can't quite get rid of the ash/burnt flavor aftertaste. The front side is sweet but no where near the "liquid Snickers Bar" I pulled a year ago. Maybe all the light roast level beans I've consumed this year has swayed my palate :D.
No Espresso = Depresso

spressomon

#106: Post by spressomon »

Ok, hit pay dirt this morning with the BV Black Canyon with the EspressoForge. I updosed, just partial pre-heat and pulled a ristretto ratio (actually 20g in 22g out) and the ash aftertaste was gone, sweetness ala carmel, chocolate and nut was predominate ... water boils at 203 at our elevation (5,000') so brew water temp was probably <200F and I pulled at a maximum 120psi then feathered down on pressure as the shot progressed.
No Espresso = Depresso

Creepin

#107: Post by Creepin »

Good to hear! I might have to finally give it a go.

spressomon

#108: Post by spressomon replying to Creepin »

FYI Buena Vista doesn't date their bags either.
No Espresso = Depresso

buddalouie

#109: Post by buddalouie »

Balthazar_B wrote:From the description on their website, it sounds like a dark-roasted Mocha-Java style blend. I used to pull Peets Mocha-Java shots, and the blend worked quite well, especially as macchiatos and cappuccinos, since it stands up in milk very effectively.

Red Bird is mostly Sweet Blue Brazilian, I think, so its flavor profile is quite different. Lately I've been blending RedBird's SO Sweet Blue with various of their Ethiopians (in a 5:2 ratio), a blend I enjoy very much straight or in milk.
Hey John, I am looking to do exactly this with some of Redbird's coffee's, do you have any recommendations for good compliments to their Sweet Blue? I love their Redbird and Blue Jaguar blends but looking to switch it up a bit and experiment some

JmanEspresso

#110: Post by JmanEspresso »

I know its not directly asked to me, but Ill throw an answer in,

Off their website currently, Id grab the Hambela special prep and mix that with the Sweet Blue.

PErsonally I love the sweet blue on its own, I just inhaled 4 pounds of it in the time I normally drink 2. It is EXCELLENT. Majorly sweet milk chocolate and this mocha/toffee/butterscotch thing goin on. One night, we made brownie sundaes, and I pulled a shot over the brownie and then added the ice cream.. I felt like a little kid at the ice cream shop, it was amazingly delicious.

SO, my thinking of the Hambela, Berries, Wine, Jammy Fruits.. Thats exactly what I would love to have mixed into a chocolate bomb. (At its best, Klatchs Belle has been like that. Im almost positive its a brazil/ethiopia blend, and they change the ethiopia depending on availability. Havent had it in a little while, but last I did, it was back to its dark chocolate/brandy cherry thing, which is fine by me)