Baratza Forte Re-Calibration after Burr Swap

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SonVolt

#1: Post by SonVolt »

I just changed my ceramic burrs to steel in my Forte using the official video on YouTube. In the video it suggests setting the grinder to 2Q and then adjusting with the calibration tool until you hear the burrs start to touch. However, in the PDF manual it suggests lowering the adjustment arms all the way down, then bringing the Macro/Micro up 1M before adjusting with the calibration tool. Which instructions am I supposed to follow? This will be for pour-over & press pots.

Shenrei

#2: Post by Shenrei »

Older Forte BGs were calibrated to 1A. I believe the newer ones are calibrated to 2Q to allow for Espresso - Press Pot range. If you're not doing espresso, you might as well shoot for a 1A calibration since you won't be using any settings past the point of burr touch. The grind setting suggestions for the BG on the Baratza page are also relative to 1A burr touch.
- Tim

SonVolt (original poster)

#3: Post by SonVolt (original poster) »

Baratza support responded a few minutes ago -
I apologize for the discrepancy. If you are not making espresso, calibrate for a touch time of 1M- this will shift your grind to be coarser overall, in comparison to a touch time of 2Q. We learned the steel burrs do grind fine enough for espresso and thus changed our recommended touch point to 2Q to allow more headroom for fine grinding.