Cleaning a boiler that has pinholes - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
grog (original poster)

#11: Post by grog (original poster) »

If the element has leaked out magnesium oxide powder, can I render the boiler food safe with mild detergent or do I need something stronger?
LMWDP #514

OldNuc

#12: Post by OldNuc »

Magnesium oxide is what is in most of the magnesium tablets and milk of magnesia.

grog (original poster)

#13: Post by grog (original poster) »

Ha! Maybe I will just leave it there and allow it to help settle my stomach.
LMWDP #514

OldNuc

#14: Post by OldNuc »

I would clean and inspect the inside of that boiler as it sounds suspiciously like scrap copper.

Randy G.

#15: Post by Randy G. »

If it was a pinhole in a braze or weld, and just one, I would likely silver solder it. But multiple holes in the body of the boiler? That would worry me. It's not like a little worm got in there and ate its way out at one isolated place. A burst boiler, even if not an explosive event, would spray hot water and steam and that thought alone is enough to make me go boiler shopping.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

grog (original poster)

#16: Post by grog (original poster) »

I've had it in daily use for about a month - it's on a timer from 5:45-6:30 am for my pre-work shots. 45 minutes of use each day and the boiler looks exactly the same inside as it did when I last had it apart...when I undertake the asbestos removal, I'll address the pinholes using one of the aforementioned methods.
LMWDP #514

zeb

#17: Post by zeb »

Just my 2 cents...

If the holes are in the neighborhood of the failed heating element, I'm quite sure that they are due to electric arcs.

Give this boiler to a professional to weld it. It is safer and more hygienic.