Orphan Espresso LIDO E for espresso - Page 12

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
thusband

#111: Post by thusband »

So the Lido E is better than the Lido 3 for espresso? I have my Lido 3 set at +4 but it can be hard to grind 16-17gr and set less than +4 it's even harder. So hard that the fold-up crank comes loose and folds in on itself. How easy is the E to grind?

dominico
Team HB

#112: Post by dominico »

The Lido E is exactly the same effort to grind as your Lido 3, perhaps slightly easier because the extra bearing could slow the feed of the beans and the handle doesn't fold, so that shouldnt be a bother either. Other than that and the adjustment foneness they are basically the same grinder.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Advertisement
thusband

#113: Post by thusband »

Good to know, I guess. Maybe my best bet is to go electric.

Many thanks

OldNuc

#114: Post by OldNuc »

Roast darker, come to the dark side ...

Bob_McBob (original poster)

#115: Post by Bob_McBob (original poster) »

Are your beans extremely dense and only roasted to the barest hint of first crack or something? The Lido 2 with Italmill burrs certainly requires an enormous amount of effort to grind most beans for espresso with a pump machine, but the Lido 3 is almost effortless by comparison. You should be able to grind down to Turkish without having the handle lock disengage like that. The benefit of the Lido E for espresso is the finer adjustment thread, not ease of grinding.
Chris

thusband

#116: Post by thusband »

Beans aren't dense and are usually roasted well beyond first crack. I've never used a Lido 2 so maybe I don't appreciate my Lido 3. Maybe, though, I'll get a good electric for espresso and save the Lido 3 for the occasional Aeropress or Kalita brew.

kofi

#117: Post by kofi »

It's a bit difficult to grind with the Lido 3 at the beginning. But after a week or so, it should get easier. Orphan Espresso has posted some videos in the past showing ways to use the Lido grinders with minimal effort.

I don't think there is an electric grinder under $1000 that can do a better jot at grinding for espresso than the Lido 3. I alternate between the HG-1 and the Lido 3 and the flavors are different, but one is not better than the other besides ergonomics.

Advertisement
OldNuc

#118: Post by OldNuc »

If the handle unlatches and folds up then you are inadvertently lifting up on the crank. This will make grinding impossible.

thusband

#119: Post by thusband »

Could very well be. I know for the money it's hard to beat the Lido 3.