Why such a taste difference (3 vs 6 cups) - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Seed65

#21: Post by Seed65 »

I tried several coffee makers....Bunn, Otto, and several manual pour overs and settled with the Oxo Barista 9 cup version. It really makes some good coffe!! Either 2 cup or 9 cups .....consistent!!

john21mart

#22: Post by john21mart »

Thanks, will try it.. A little plasticky looking though!

borisblank

#23: Post by borisblank »

I've since moved to pourover, but I remember the Technivorm we had as a pretty hot brewer. I used to fill the receiver thermos with boiling hot water before brewing - maybe that helped, I'm not sure.

Bbdude (original poster)

#24: Post by Bbdude (original poster) »

In my quest for excellent tasting coffee, I thought I'd post some photos and get input on my grind. For context, as noted above, I'm using a Bonavita drip coffee maker and a ratio of 63g of coffee to 30oz of water. Right now I'm brewing Bodka's excellent tasting Misty Valley Ethiopian.

I use a 1-year old Breville Smart Grinder set on "6" for my grind. See below the reference chart from Breville as well as my resulting grind size. Do you think this grind size is appropriate an Ethiopian? I have 24 notches to chose from, but PT's Coffee recommended 6 a while ago for an Ethiopian so I've stuck with it.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by JohnB. »

That looks like a nice coarse Press Pot grind. If you want a Drip grind I'd start playing with the adjustment.
LMWDP 267

Bbdude (original poster)

#26: Post by Bbdude (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

So you'd probably go one notch finer and keep going a notch finer until I find the sweet spot?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by JohnB. »

I played with a Smart Grinder when they first came out. They do a decent job with the various brew grinds but are pretty hopeless in the espresso range. If you want your grinder to match that grind chart ask Breville for a shim kit & "recalibrate" the settings by reshimming the lower burr. As yours is currently shimmed I'd jump up to 10-12 & see if you get a nice fluffy drip grind with no chunks.
LMWDP 267

borisblank

#28: Post by borisblank »

I'd agree - finer for drip, but overall the grind looks pretty even. Not bad for the Breville, actually.

I'd use this setting for a longer-ish French press brew, insofar as just looking at the grind/beans can tell us much about how it will brew...

Bbdude (original poster)

#29: Post by Bbdude (original poster) »

Better this AM using 10. Not as sour, which was probably a result of under extraction from the coarser grind.

Here's the grind on 10