Rocket R58 v2 milk steaming problems - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
luma (original poster)

#11: Post by luma (original poster) »

These are great suggestions, I will get at both of these tomorrow morning! I just had an RO system installed so I'm also working on getting the R58 plumbed. As a result I have a few irons in the fire on this machine while I try to sort out a drain issue.

SCG is sending me a new vacuum breaker but suggested that I remove mine and take a look to see if anything obvious is wrong. I've done so and everything looks like I would think it should (having never seen one of these before). There's no obvious sign of any obstruction or problems with any parts.

I put the vacuum breaker back onto the steam boiler and made sure it was tight. I've fired it up and something is still hissing and presumably releasing steam. I think it's coming from the vacuum breaker but there are like 5 things coming out of the top of the boiler and I couldn't say for 100% that it isn't maybe something else.

When searching for a gas leak like this I'd typically use soapy water, but that won't work here as it'd flash to steam immediately. Putting my ear close doesn't seem to find the source, and I can only get so close because, well.... it's hot! My next stunt is going to be to attempt to use an SPL meter and poke it around various places to see if I can register the sound and locate it that way. Any suggestions as to how I can identify the leak in this situation?

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by uscfroadie »

luma wrote:Any suggestions as to how I can identify the leak in this situation?
Yes, use a small mirror and move it around all of the fittings. Any escaping steam will produce condensation on the mirror in a relatively short amount of time making it quite easy to find the leak's origin.

Also, when reassembling your vacuum breaker, be sure to apply silicone lubricant (Dow 111) to the rubber O-ring to extend longevity.
Merle

Advertisement
luma (original poster)

#13: Post by luma (original poster) »

uscfroadie wrote:Yes, use a small mirror and move it around all of the fittings.
Man that is just the kind of trick I was looking for! I don't have an inspection mirror but like the best sort of projects this will be a good reason to buy a tool that I probably should have anyway. I didn't apply any lube to the o-rings but I now have some on order and will do so when that arrives.

AllNight

#14: Post by AllNight »

luma wrote:I just had an RO system installed so I'm also working on getting the R58 plumbed.
Wait a minute. RO water?

You are not using RO water in this machine, are you? That is a BIG no-no.

luma (original poster)

#15: Post by luma (original poster) »

RO + calcite filter. The rocket is hooked up but I haven't switched the source over from the reservoir yet pending KH/GH testing. PPM is around 20 post-calcite filter.

luma (original poster)

#16: Post by luma (original poster) »

Not so great news. SCG sent me a new gasket for the vacuum breaker which I replaced without any trouble. With the top off I powered the machine back on and watched as it heated up. The vacuum breaker did it's thing as expected, it vented a little water then popped up into the closed position once pressure started to build and stayed that way.

However, what I then saw was the actual source of my problem, and it might explain the steam arm behavior as well. This is a video zoomed into the fitting from the steam boiler that leads to the steam wand:
It's a little hard to see in the video but it was very clear in person - the leak is coming out of this fitting. This looks a little more challenging to replace. I've updated SCG and I'll see what they have to say.

luma (original poster)

#17: Post by luma (original poster) »

SCG suggested removing the fitting and putting some teflon tape in place. It just so happens that applying teflon tape is pretty much the only tool in my plumbing skill book, and it worked great. The boiler is no longer leaking steam, however the steam wand still is leaking water and steam at shutoff.