Help Choosing Between Different Automated Pourovers - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
SonVolt

#21: Post by SonVolt »

How about we just call them "3rd Wave Coffee Makers" :wink:

IMAWriter

#22: Post by IMAWriter »

I also like Marshall (and Bob M's) immersion per cup idea. I also have the porcelain Bonavita immersion/drip brewer.
It's unique in tat it allows you do a combo of both brewing methods, which I believe would allow our very nice OP to experiment, have fun, vary taste without needing fine motor skills, as the pouring of the water in is basically just pour it in gently.

I use that method posting by a barista on CG, part immersion (for the OP that means a closed soaking of the coffee, like "steeping", in a manner of speaking) and also allowing some of the coffee to slowly drip into your large 12oz mug or glass carafe. It will actually hold about 13 oz, I believe, enough for you and a friend to have a nice traditional sized cup. It's about $29-$35, very pretty, and super solid.
It helps to have an electric kettle, If so, just boil the water, then after the mechanism shuts off, allow about 10-15 seconds to drop down to about 94-95C. You want the water just a wee bit on the hot side, as the "slurry will cool down a bit.

It's VERY simple, you just toss the filter when done. Easy to prerinse the filter as well, which also pre-heats your "catch vessel!"

EDIT: spend the extra money on a Good electric grinder, to go along with your very fine Lido 2.

Advertisement
Bluecold

#23: Post by Bluecold »

baldheadracing wrote: because the grinds determine the flow.
You might want to take a look at Jim Schulmans basket analysis.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Seed65

#24: Post by Seed65 »

You all bring up some very good points with respect to the OP's question.

There are so many variables with respect to coffee making that it can be overwhelming at times. I am just learning about all of these variables and how to control them over the last few months so I am a relative novice. It just goes to show that the typical coffee drinker has no clue of all the things that need to occur in concert for a good cup of coffee. Its all about variable control.

My suggestion to the OP is to buy a burr grinder first, and use fresh roast in whatever brew method you use. At least you will have control over those variables to a certain extent. The rest is trial and error to find what works for you, whether you use a manual or automatic pourover method. Based upon all the reviews out there on the various pourover methods, whether it be automated or not, there really is not a perfect system for the masses. (maybe the Bonavita 1900 comes close?) The Ottomatic is a good system, not perfect, but the cost is high, and you may want to try more cheaper methods to hone your tastes (likes/dislikes) first before plunging.

Man...I would love to take a class on all this! :)

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by Moxiechef »

Question about pour over style makers. Is there a rule of thumb for bloom time and brew time no matter what size batch you are brewing?

JB