Storing brewed coffee

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Rulebreaker

#1: Post by Rulebreaker »

Hey,

Has anyone tried brewing shots and storing them in the refrigerator? My wife is at the point that she isn't ready or willing to learn how to pull a shot, but now only likes the coffee I make. Her alternative is capsule coffee which she no longer likes. I was thinking about making 6-8 ounces and she could make a cafe americano using 2 oz shots with 4 oz of hot water.

Regards,

Greg
Dr. Strangebrew: Or how I learned to stop worrying and love milk and sugar

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

The only time I refrigerate shots is when I plan on making iced coffee from them in an hour or so. If it sits very long in the chill chest it can get funky. There is only way to find out, try it. The worst that can happen is you pitch the drink and accelerate the learning curve on the machine for the wife.
Dave Stephens

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

Rulebreaker wrote:Hey,

Has anyone tried brewing shots and storing them in the refrigerator? My wife is at the point that she isn't ready or willing to learn how to pull a shot, but now only likes the coffee I make. Her alternative is capsule coffee which she no longer likes. I was thinking about making 6-8 ounces and she could make a cafe americano using 2 oz shots with 4 oz of hot water.

Regards,

Greg
If it is same-day consumption, then I have pulled double luongo's into small Mason jars so that the air is minimal, and just left them (sealed) on the counter. (I am tempted to try sous-vide instead of room temperature storage.)

For re-heating to become Americanos, the issue that will arise is bitterness from the undissolved solids. When one makes an Americano normally, the undissolved solids sink quickly to the bottom of the cup, like French Press sludge. With the re-heat, the undissolved solids get stirred and suspended throughout the beverage, and affect the taste throughout. A trick - that I haven't tried, Tim Wendelboe mentioned it in one of his Periscope videos - might be to skim off the crema of the shot.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Rulebreaker (original poster)

#4: Post by Rulebreaker (original poster) »

Hey, thanks for the replies. Me thinks it's capsule coffee for now. I do like the idea of using a shot chilled down for an hour for iced coffee. I will be giving that a try today!

Regards,

Greg
Dr. Strangebrew: Or how I learned to stop worrying and love milk and sugar

jyounk

#5: Post by jyounk »

I think anything other than immediately pouring the shot over ice is going to produce a very stale americano if you try to warm it back up. It would be a waste of nice beans to do that