Redesigning Brewtus IV - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pcivic (original poster)

#31: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

edschlukebir wrote:Really nice. I like the joysticks, and the handle on the front.

Where did you get the parts for the joystick mod?

Since I am from europe, I bought them from store located in Germany. They also stocked ECM original brew handle which was really hard to get anywhere else. Since ECM uses much shorter bar to which this handle is screwed I had to to deepen the thread on ECM handle. Much easier solution would be to just buy original ecm bar, but is is really costy. Another problem is that this handle is made of solid stainless steel so it's quite have, especially comparing to original plastic one. So without increasing the friction of in mechanism by adding additional o-ring seal it just drops from up position back down and stops brewing. I am not sure how ECM solve this originally.

Tfili

#32: Post by Tfili »

I bought my joystick mod from Chriscoffee with the adapters. http://www.chriscoffee.com/Joystick-Ass ... jt995g.htm

I didn't get a chance to install them yet but hopefully tomorrow (and hoping it is straightforward).

Bought a 96mm handle today for the drip tray and 5" handles for cup rails. Hoping to get these to work tomorrow too. I'll post an update when complete.

Tfili

#33: Post by Tfili »

I got my mods completed today, took a little more effort than expected.

The joystick mod leaked quite a bit, and between the washers and parts that came with the adapter and the original machine, I ended up trying different combinations of parts. I ended up not using any of them, just teflon tape on the connections. See picture below of the 3 pieces left over or not used.

The 5" door handles for cup rails worked (almost) perfectly, just had to cut the screws down to 1/2 the size. Probably easiest to buy some short screws that will fit the handle while picking up the handle.

The 96mm drip tray handle was too short (I think 100mm handle would be perfect), so I ended up just bending/stretching the handle to make the screw holes line up. Took 10 seconds with the concave handle, but a square handle like on the cup rails wouldn't work as easily. Also cut down these screws as above.

Below are pics of the final product.

Headala

#34: Post by Headala »

Looks great! How are you liking the joysticks?

Hudson

#35: Post by Hudson »

Nice! I just bought those same cabinet handles from Lowes, I just need to buy smaller screws before I can install them!
LMWDP #534

Tfili

#36: Post by Tfili »

Only made one latte for the wife so far, but the instant off switch is fantastic. The longer steam wand has been more annoying than expected however, I'm optimistic that will change as I get used to dragging it around to purge the water before putting it in the milk jug.

It is darn fun though!

pcivic (original poster)

#37: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

Tfili, I really like your new joysticks! I am glad that in the end it works well.
I'm quite sure that after few weeks you won't imagine using your machine without joysticks :)
I like joysticks especially when purging out watter before I start steaming milk.

Nice to see that I encouraged others to mod their brewtus.