Faema Lambro/Zodiaco Group Flow Valve Adjustment - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dominico
Team HB

#21: Post by dominico »

NelisB wrote: One thing that still gives me hard time is light roasted beans. Like Nicholas writes in his Slayer review, those kind of machines are more the ones you need for light roasted Third Wave coffee.
Can you elaborate on this?

I haven't noticed any issues with light roast coffee.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

zeb

#22: Post by zeb »

With 0'8 bar, 21gr and 25s pre brew on my own very light roasted bean I had some perfect cups.

The "stuff" on the bottom of the group is only anti return valve. With 1,5 bar pressure it can be interesting, with an Italian dose of 14-15 gr, to close a little the setting to obtain a more quiet pre brew.

In my opinon, nowadays with our third wave coffees there is no interest to touch this thing. Only open it max and forget it.

Advertisement
UFGators (original poster)

#23: Post by UFGators (original poster) »

To answer Niels question. Both machines work very well for light roasted coffee. The question is, are you in the mood for extreme clarify or a shot that blends more together but is still delicious? For exotic coffees where I want to taste all of the nuances and I want extreme clarity, I go for the slayer. An example of this would be ninety plus Perci red gesha. I think slayer really shines on single origins and brighter blends. I would say the lambro is better overall on chocolate foward blends and maybe blends in general. For example, I prefer verve street level on slayer but Prefer herkimer espresso on lambro. Both are great, just depends on your mood!

NelisB

#24: Post by NelisB »

dominico wrote:Can you elaborate on this?

I haven't noticed any issues with light roast coffee.
This:
UFGators wrote: I think slayer really shines on single origins and brighter blends. I would say the Lambro is better overall on chocolate foward blends and maybe blends in general
When I drink a light roasted (SO) coffee extracted on a Synesso or on a Linea, the espresso has more nuances and clarity, compared to the same coffee extracted on the Lambro.

And also, I don't get a nice "slow-motion"-style extraction (with the naked) with light roasted coffee. It is always nervous and it is hard to avoid channeling and often I get early blonding.

On the other hand, traditional roasted coffees taste great, just like how you want them to taste, and they extract very easy on the Lambro.

UFGators (original poster)

#25: Post by UFGators (original poster) »

NelisB wrote:When I drink a light roasted (SO) coffee extracted on a Synesso or on a Linea, the espresso has more nuances and clarity, compared to the same coffee extracted on the Lambro.

And also, I don't get a nice "slow-motion"-style extraction (with the naked) with light roasted coffee. It is always nervous and it is hard to avoid channeling and often I get early blonding.

On the other hand, traditional roasted coffees taste great, just like how you want them to taste, and they extract very easy on the Lambro.

Well said.. These are exactly my thoughts. The Slayer beats the pants off the Lambro on Light roasted coffees but cannot product the syrupy, comfort food shots on the more traditional blends.