LIDO II play in burrs? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Almico (original poster)

#11: Post by Almico (original poster) »

lippstuh wrote:Have you tried realigning your burrs? You may need to even if it came like that from factory.

I had some play but noticed I had a lot of fines. I followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGO_Onbx0NI to realign my burrs and noticed the play was significantly less. If I am guessing, you have about 3-5x the amount of play I have.

I suggest you follow the video and realign it. It won't hurt.
Bingo! That is exactly what it needed. Now when I have the adjusting ring at "zero, there is no play whatsoever, I mean none. When I turn the handle I get a nice smooth resistance all the way around. It's only when I loosen the adjustment ring do I get the amount of play corresponding to the opening of the burrs. Awesome! Thanks!

erik82

#12: Post by erik82 »

The amount of play is dependend on how coarse/fine you set the grinder. Set it to a coarse setting and you'll have more play than on a fine setting (shaft pulled down of lifted up). Just part of the design and nothing to worry about and doesn't affect grinding. Re-aligning the burrs will not have any impact on the amount of play in that direction.

Almico (original poster)

#13: Post by Almico (original poster) replying to erik82 »

Got that, but I was getting .5mm of play when the burrs were clamped down to Zero. That is gone now that the lower burr is aligned.

brianl

#14: Post by brianl replying to Almico »

I doubt that changed anything grindwise. But People have just added washers to help with their OCD. OE began with the top burr not even glued to the shaft but people complained (for no reason) and thus they started gluing.

However, I believe everyone should make sure their screws are equally tightened to ensure the shaft doesn't rub, which it sounds like you did.

I don't think you can actually 'realign' the grinder beyond just removing the rub from the uneven shaft.

That being said, I also get no play when at the zero point. It sounds like you had a loose screw or so.

cuppajoe

#15: Post by cuppajoe »

One thing to watch for if you disassemble it is that the outer burr carrier is keyed to the holding disc(or whatever it's called). Make sure the two are mated properly.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits