LIDO 2 swiss burr vs. Rosco hand grinder for espresso

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
theoleejunming

#1: Post by theoleejunming »

Anyone has lido 2 with the new burr set ? if so how is it compared to rosco hand grinder in term of espresso ?

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by samuellaw178 »

Are you expecting Lido 3 to perform differently to Lido 2 with Swiss burrs?

theoleejunming (original poster)

#3: Post by theoleejunming (original poster) »

Ya.everytime i need to change the grind size i need to spend about 1.5 hrs to get it adjusted with no burr rub ,bottom screw unscrewed with lido 3 inner burr pulled up touching the outer burr and spinned freely. Furthermore, i tried grinding with burr rub and no burr rub ( at outer inner burr touching setting ) , the consistency has alot of different . Also i noticed salt size aluminium particles and (probably the black powdered coating) in my jar .
Its getting on my nerve .

So i was thinking of getting lido 2 with the swiss burr or rosco hand grinder which i can adjust grind size easily .

Anyway on OE website it is stated that they redesigned the adjustmenr ring by cutting down the mass of aluminium used.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#4: Post by jbviau »

theoleejunming wrote:Anyway on OE website it is stated that they redesigned the adjustmenr ring by cutting down the mass of aluminium used.
Have a link? This is news to me. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oh, you probably mean here.
OE wrote:To achieve reduction in weight we replaced all of the zinc die cast parts of the LIDO 2 with aluminum and redesigned the adjustment ring to use the smallest amount of metal possible...
I interpret that comment as referring to the original redesign going from L2 to L3 rather than to a recent tweak based on complaints like yours.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

theoleejunming (original poster)

#5: Post by theoleejunming (original poster) »

OE wrote:use the smallest amount of metal possible
well OE cut down the mass of the metal used which they will need to cut down the "wall" thickness of the adjustment ring and probability the thread thickness to achieve this. if they adjust any thread parameters ,there could be possibility that it will go wrong and this explains the whole burr rub situation. Also i find out that the adjustment ring can tilt about the out burr carrier or housing when screwed on. so probably the female thread and male thread doesnt match, leaving space for movement.

btw the inner burr sitting on the shaft carrier secured with a clip or something works perfectly as long as u don't grind it upside down and the allowance of movement is only so little, i don't think it can cancel out the in alignment caused by the adjustment ring . its really the adjustment ring causing all this.