Early research for espresso machine to match Compak K3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mikesnow

#1: Post by mikesnow »

Hello,

I am fed up with sour shots from my Breville 800ESXL no matter what I try. Brew head temp maxes out at 70 C with temp surfing. I will probably try to buy a machine used, but I'm wondering what the next step up from my machine would be? What type of boiler or grouphead should I be looking for in the sub 1000 dollar range? I have a K3 touch grinder.

Just early in my research but other than the Silvia, what sorts of machines should I be looking at? Thanks!
ps I've searched on here and read the older stuff but not specific to 2015
Thanks
Mike

nickw

#2: Post by nickw »

For $1000 you should be able to find a good used e61 based HX machine.

It may take awhile, but over about 6months of looking I helped a friend find a Rocket v1, which we ended up getting for $1000.

mikesnow (original poster)

#3: Post by mikesnow (original poster) »

I'm just curious actually what anyone might suggest for 500 used also.

Beezer

#4: Post by Beezer »

You may be able to get a Breville Dual Boiler on sale for less than $1,000 if you shop around. They tend to go on sale at places like Bed, Bath and Beyond pretty often.

I know you may not be very happy with Breville right now, but the DB is supposed to be a very nice machine for the money, much better than any of the other Brevilles. It has a built in adjustable PID, so it should take care of your temperature woes. By all accounts, it can compete with other, much more expensive machines in terms of shot quality. The build quality may not be as robust, however.

Other good machines for $1,000 or less would be the Crossland CC1, the Nuova Simonelli Oscar, and perhaps the Lelit Anna with PID. I'd steer clear of Silvia. Too much hassle to control the temperature, and there are better machines for the same or less money.
Lock and load!

cmin

#5: Post by cmin »

The Breville DB is the only machine of theirs worth owning, I know your not of a fan of your current one but all their other models are no where near the Dual Boiler as far as quality/performance, it'll go toe to toe constantly with way more expensive machines. As far as budget and going used from 500-1k, I mean just depends on what you can find, towards the higher end you should be able to find an h/x and possible around 500 you could score a used Oscar but just know it would more then likely need work and serious cleaning and the mods for it are almost a must to make it more useable and not deal with it's issues/quirks stock. Or if you want, the CC1 new offers massive bang for the buck, priced almost the same as a Silvia yet makes the Silvia look like a rinky dink outdated toy. Larger boiler, full PID control and preinfusion, separate thermoblock for faster switching to steam/brew, forget even considering the Silvia today even used especially with your budget range.

Just all depends. I would look for a used h/x but imo I wouldn't bother with the Oscar unless you scored a crazy cheap deal.

nickw

#6: Post by nickw »

mikesnow wrote:I'm just curious actually what anyone might suggest for 500 used also.
I've seen Nuova Simonelli Oscar go as low as $500 before, but usually they're around $650-750. That's here in Vancouver anyways.

I'm not sure anyone else realize's we're in Canada. I find machines are a slight premium here (5-10%) beyond the exchange rate difference.

mikesnow (original poster)

#7: Post by mikesnow (original poster) »

Great responses. Really appreciate it. Yes with the dollar where it is last few days, there is going to be quite a premium on ordering machines in.

And yes I have all but had it with Breville. But I will have a look with fresh eyes.

Any other names come to mind please don't hesitate to post. Somewhere to direct my reading over the next little while. Thanks
Mike