La Marzocco Strada Mini coming... - Page 26

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
AssafL

#251: Post by AssafL »

pcrussell50 wrote:???

I'm not sure what we disagree on.

I begrudge nothing to the engineers who figured out clever ways of minimizing the compromises that come from 110v. I would rather just have 220v to begin with. And I will. My "upgrade" machine will not be 110v. Period. I'm delighted that the 1gr Strada is a proper 220v machine, (at least as far as I can tell from reading this thread).

And I love love love, my two lever machines, especially the tactile control with the direct-lever design.

-Peter
We disagree that 110v was a compromise.

The only "compromise" regarding 110V was if the machine was installed on a 15A circuit (that is an electrician issue - not a machine). If one had a 20A circuit all you need to do (on a GS3) was set it to full power mode and the heaters could operate simultaneously just like on 220V.

I don't call that a compromise - I'd call it a "menu option" to allow people to use it on a standard US outlet without calling an electrician (suboptimal - yes - but giving an option is not a compromise).

230V models had a somewhat higher wattage as well - but that could be retrofitted (as I did). Hence - no real compromise (assuming you use a 20A circuit or a 220V circuit).
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#252: Post by JohnB. »

AssafL wrote:
BTW - Bosco have the autofill brain electronics in a stranger location - in the drain box...
The electronics are located in the front of the machine completely isolated from the drain box. The metal drain pan completely covers this area & overlaps the sides on top making it impossible for water to get on to the metal cover underneath that sits over the electronics. That metal cover once again shields the electronics from any water intrusion. Too bad LM with all their engineers couldn't come up with a shield over the GS3 brain box that would have protected it even half as well as the Bosco set up. Having the electronics in the front of the Bosco protects them from exposure to the heat from the large boiler.
LMWDP 267

pcrussell50

#253: Post by pcrussell50 »

AssafL wrote:I don't call that a compromise - I'd call it a "menu option" to allow people to use it on a standard US outlet without calling an electrician (suboptimal - yes - but giving an option is not a compromise).
I can live with that assessment. And for me, I will not be taking that "suboptimal" path for a proper Strada, no matter the number of groups, (though a one group is all I want). I'm fine with my SBDU levers being 110v, and my current super temp-stable pump machine does fine on 110v, and it's steam is dry and of high quality, though a bit slow... And I'm OK with that, especially since I don't really drink milk drinks... the occasional cortado. I'm happy there are choices for people who don't want to wire up a 220v outlet. It's just that for a commercial-class machine, my personal preference is 220v... And with an outboarded motor/pump for the reasons given.

If LM decides to make an actual "mini" machine that evokes the styling cues of the Strada, without actually being a Strada, like they did with the Linea, and Linea Mini, I'm sure it would be just right, with 110v and an internal pour over tank to avoid hassling the owner with plumbing, and internal motor/pump for the same reasons. No doubt such a thing would be a big hit for it's intended category of buyers. It's just that I wouldn't be one of them, because I would want an actual Strada, with one group.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

AssafL

#254: Post by AssafL »

JohnB. wrote:The electronics are located in the front of the machine completely isolated from the drain box. The metal drain pan completely covers this area & overlaps the sides on top making it impossible for water to get on to the metal cover underneath that sits over the electronics. That metal cover once again shields the electronics from any water intrusion. Too bad LM with all their engineers couldn't come up with a shield over the GS3 brain box that would have protected it even half as well as the Bosco set up. Having the electronics in the front of the Bosco protects them from exposure to the heat from the large boiler.
Yes Indeed. Hope they learnt from that. The Strada electronics is 3 times as expensive...
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

lgibson

#255: Post by lgibson »

Is there any news on this machine?
Apparently the thread was bumped in Sept. 2016 with content from 2013.

My apologies
For some reason I did not see the Sept posts til now.

CoffeeBar

#256: Post by CoffeeBar »

The Strada EP 1 group is equipped with a self-contained 2 liter water tank that makes plumbing optional.

http://global.lamarzocco.com/en/strada-ep-en/

NelisB

#257: Post by NelisB »

It's here! @ the Dutch distributor in The Hague.

LukeFlynn

#258: Post by LukeFlynn »

It's not mini, but it's hawt.

chrisbodnarphoto

#259: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

NelisB wrote:<image>

It's here! @ the Dutch distributor in The Hague.
I simply cannot wait for mine to arrive! :mrgreen:

contraflow88
Supporter ♡

#260: Post by contraflow88 »

Can you take more photos and do some videos? Also would it be to much to ask for a shot of the internals as well?