Adjust OPV valve Rancilio Epoca?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
devilspitcafe

#1: Post by devilspitcafe »

Hi,
I'm currently operating a used Rancilio Epoca S1 (plumbed, single group)
I'm curious as where the pressure gauge should read - my espressos are turning out bitter even with clean portafilters and shower filter, and freshly ground coffee at the proper extraction time.

Somebody suggested that my pressure is too low or high, but I don't quite understand my HX gauge? Here is an image at what the gauge seems to float around, it doesn't move when I brew.

here is a shot of the inside of my machine - how do I adjust my pressure?
Thank you!

forbeskm

#2: Post by forbeskm »

This link might help understand how they differ. I think they were talking about boiler pressure versus brew pressure (pump and opv related if I am not mistaken on the previous thread). Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Heat Exchanger vs. Double Boiler Espresso Machines [video]

Boiler pressure is adjusted by adjusting the pressurestat (machine uplugged depending on setup for safety).

jeebsy

#3: Post by jeebsy »

I have a classe 6 and the pressure/temp is adjusted using the volumetric buttons as it has an electric pressure stat. The classe 6 shares its inside with some Epochas, if yours doesn't have an adjustable stat let me know and i'll scan the page from the manual

LukeFlynn

#4: Post by LukeFlynn »

devilspitcafe wrote:Hi,
I'm currently operating a used Rancilio Epoca S1 (plumbed, single group)
I'm curious as where the pressure gauge should read - my espressos are turning out bitter even with clean portafilters and shower filter, and freshly ground coffee at the proper extraction time.

Somebody suggested that my pressure is too low or high, but I don't quite understand my HX gauge? Here is an image at what the gauge seems to float around, it doesn't move when I brew.

<image>

here is a shot of the inside of my machine - how do I adjust my pressure?
Thank you!

Have you tried different coffees? What coffee are you using?