Fiorenzato Bricoletta Pump Stalls - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Tio Tom (original poster)

#11: Post by Tio Tom (original poster) »

Made a video tonight. The jerky motion is new. Previously it was somewhat smooth but very slow. I disassembled both solenoid valves and thoroughly cleaned them along with all components in the hydraulic circuit. I had the controller rebuilt so it now has new contacts. I hooked the motor directly to an outlet and still had the problem. I am stumped.
Couldn't load the video since I am using iPad. :( Will try later.

#12: Post by Tio Tom (original poster) »

Back again. I tried to post a video but we only have IPad and MAC and for some reason Home-Barista does not allow iOS to participate?????? BUT, I have good news. A friend recommended to me that I back off the pressure adjustment on the pump to see what would happen. Since the adjustment screw was not easily accessible, I took off the 'acorn' nut that holds the adjustment mechanism in place. What I found was that the small 'piston' that transmits the setting from the adjustment screw to the internal bypass of the pump was jammed in the maximum position. It looked to me that it was assembled dry and the o-ring on the small piston would not enter into its cylinder so the the adjustment screw wasn't doing anything. The piston was jamming the by-pass in its maximum position which caused the pump to produce maximum pressure. The pressure somehow remained in the system and the motor was not able to overcome it and thus it stalled out. I used some silicone grease and the piston easily slipped into it proper position. I then re-assembled everything, backed off the adjustment screw and away it went. I then gradually increased the setting on the screw until I started getting the 'stall' again and then backed it off about one half turn. So, at this point it has been working great for several weeks and making great coffee. The machine does not have a pump pressure gauge so I am unable to say what pressure it is producing. I will try to post a video at another time, maybe from my Android phone.

#13: Post by Tio Tom (original poster) »

Update: One thing that I cannot figure out is that when the boiler fill circuit kicks on and re-fills the boiler it brings the boiler pressure down to zero very quickly. I never remember seeing anything like this before with the machine. It recovers very rapidly but it seems to me that the amount of cold water entering the boiler is not enough to bring it down to zero. The only thing different about the boiler in comparison with the past is that I insulated it with 1/2" melamine foam. Any ideas? Thanks.