Mazzer Major no longer grinding fluffy - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LukeFlynn (original poster)

#11: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

trumz wrote:Thats a normal ampunt of coffe under the burrs... Try and get some quality macro pics of the burrs for us.
Yeah, it would seem normal to me if I hadn't cleaned the grinder in 2 months.. but I just removed the burrs yesterday and it's already like that.

TomC
Team HB

#12: Post by TomC »

When I ever bother to getting around and putting the Major back together, I won't have to worry about that ground coffee getting caught up under those mount areas like that. Frank (Terranova) used to make a few spacers for Majors (just toying around, not something in production) but I bought his last set that should prevent this mess.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
day

#13: Post by day »

Based on experience with my mdf, I don't think it really matters too much how long it has been, once you grind some beans those spots will fill up. With more time it would perhaps be a bit more caked on but essentially the same I think, no?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#14: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

Old burrs fixed it.. I know counter to what you would think. In fact, it's actually much faster with the old ones.. Less gushers too. Should hold me out until I get new ones in the mail.

Gman

#15: Post by Gman »

I'm not sure why you think that there should be little to no grounds under the bottom carrier. In fact, I would guess that the fluffier the grounds the more easily it gets under the carrier. I just cleaned mine out and checked it again after 1-2 days and it has as mush as it did when I cleaned it out. I like the idea of a spacer though. I use thin strips of adhesive foam tape on my doser. This could work her as well or maybe even some of the soft-side of some Velcro tape.

ravco

#16: Post by ravco »

I wouldn't worry about the grinds under the burrs. Seems normal to me too.

Got a little stone in my major while grinding in my new burrs (was using cheap coffee :oops: ). It made such a loud bang, I thought the grinder was exploding. There are a few small nicks and scraches on the burrs now, but function seems normal.

Uldall

#17: Post by Uldall »

Dont worry about the grinds under the burrs its normal on Mazzer's :-)
All my Mazzer's had the same amount under the bottom Burrcarrier. SJ,Major,Koni,Robur.
I Think its a design thing'i there is simply to mutch space under the carrier.
Great to hear your back in business untill new burrs arrive.

/Uldall
Bassethound.
Coffee Driven.