Hot water wand producing weird coloured water

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
someguy12

#1: Post by someguy12 »

Hi,

I just realized that weird water is coming out of my hot water wand. I never use it until tonight. Boy, what a surprise!

As you can see in the picture, the cup on top is the water coming from the grouphead and the bottom one is the one from the hot water wand. The water/steam coming out of the steam wand produces a colour similar to the one from the grouphead.

I have always used water from a BWT filter that I change every month. Any ideas what would cause this?

Thanks in advance :)

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

someguy12 wrote:I just realized that weird water is coming out of my hot water wand. I never use it until tonight.
Unless you regularly flush the steam boiler, mineral concentration will increase over time since only steam (distilled water) exits the boiler, leaving minerals behind. That's why the steam boiler water from the wand looks like lake water while the (distilled) water from the steam wand looks fine.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
emradguy
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by emradguy »

Yup...what Dan said!

I had the same issue. I don't use my hot wand much, and for a long time I wasn't flushing the steam boiler regularly, so when I did use the hot wand, my output looked much like yours...and, of course, that makes you want to use it even less. If you start flushing the hot wand after every session (long enough to make the boiler autofill kick in), your problem will go away.

If you want to know how much water you need to run to keep your boiler "clean", you can find out how to calculate that in Jim Schulman's Insanely Long Water FAQ.
LMWDP #748