How does Mazzer doser adjustment work?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Huertecilla

#1: Post by Huertecilla »

My 'new' Super Jolly arrived today.
I will spare you guys a long review.
The abbreviated version: It was a real steal :!:

I have a question about the adjustment of the doser.
It is very easy adjust, no problem there,
My question is about how it works. What exactly does turning the knurled nut on the vane star adjust?

The way the doser seems to work is sweeping the grind over a hole, the chute.
The stroke remains the same so how does the same stroke give less or more grind??
It the aperture moved inwards/outwards, to a smaller/larger radius? Or?

Thanks.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

The short answer is that for home baristas, the adjustment is useless. Espresso Grinder Features offers the long answer:
HB wrote:Doser - a doser is the large cylinder in the front of the grinder that receives the grinds. At the bottom of the cylinder is a circle of wedge-shaped vanes that fill with grinds. Each flick of the handle advances the next wedge toward the bottom exit hole at the front of the doser. The dose amount is adjusted by increasing or decreasing the height of the rotating vane, thereby changing the wedges' volume. To work properly, the doser must be at least ½ full so the weight of the grinds pushes hard enough to fill the wedge from top to bottom. Metering shots using a doser is thus practical in a busy café, but for home use the doser instead acts as a "holding area" for a shot or two worth of grinds that are then dispensed by pulling the handle a few times.
On a related note, there are many doser vs. doserless debates in the forum bordering on religious fervor. I use the doser to help with distribution as demonstrated in Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Consistency.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
Huertecilla (original poster)

#3: Post by Huertecilla (original poster) »

Thank you.
Both for the explanation and the distribution link. The latter add yet anóther useful perspective :!:

The pro/con is indeed a different topic and not relevant here.
I simply wondered how it doses.
Yes, now I understand how, it is evident that it only works as doser when sufficiently full which is a questionable practice for the occasional cup at home.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

If you add velcro, tape or plastic to the sweepers you can use the adjustment to set the new sweep height. Check out one of the Mazzer mod threads for details. With a few mods the doser will perform much better then stock.
LMWDP 267