Espresso brew ratio

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
r.rowlan

#1: Post by r.rowlan »

Fuzzy about the brew ratio. I put 16 grams of medium roasted espresso in a double shot basket. I measured the shots pulled in the 25-35 sec. window (close to 30sec) and they both weighed about 52 grams. That is no where close to a 1-2 (32g) or 1-3 (48g) brew ratio. I pulled two ounces. Do I not worry about the volume, but watch the scale and stop the pull when it arrives at the preferred 1-2 or 1-3 ratio?

hipporun

#2: Post by hipporun »

Please use the search function for your question, this has literally been asked at least three times in the past month alone.

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

I agree with using the search function because that can give you some varied opinions. That said, you should adjust your grinder such that the liquid output from a 16 gram dose is somewhere between 24 and 27 grams.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

r.rowlan (original poster)

#4: Post by r.rowlan (original poster) »

Thank you for helping the newbie. Tried search function without success. Will try harder. Thanks again!

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

Well, this was the original post on "Brew Ratio" by Andy Schecter: Brewing ratios for espresso beverages

And here are lots more "brew ratio" discussions available via the native search and Google search.

The idea, obviously, would be to try ratio A and ratio B and see what tastes best to YOU.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

r.rowlan (original poster)

#6: Post by r.rowlan (original poster) »

Sweet! Many thanks Eric

ripcityman

#7: Post by ripcityman »

thanks for the link erics

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#8: Post by RapidCoffee »

r.rowlan wrote:That is no where close to a 1-2 (32g) or 1-3 (48g) brew ratio. I pulled two ounces. Do I not worry about the volume, but watch the scale and stop the pull when it arrives at the preferred 1-2 or 1-3 ratio?
Note that a brew ratio of 1:3 (33%) puts you into lungo territory. I prefer a brew ratio of 2:3 (67%), certainly no more than 1:2 (50%). For a 16g coffee dose, this is 24g to 32g of extracted espresso. If your shot pulls as crema, you will get around 45-50ml volume before it starts to blond. Adjust your grind so that blonding occurs 25-30 seconds into the extraction, and you will be in the right ballpark.
John