Is $2000 for used La Marzocco Linea a good buy?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Lateralus

#1: Post by Lateralus »

First off, thanks in advance for the advice!

I'm relatively new to the commercial machine market. I have been looking for a La Marzocco to buy in order to maybe open a small cafe or just to have at home. One popped up on my local CL. It is a 1989 red series linea. Works fine, just needs gaskets, seals, and some love. The seller wants 2,000. Would you jump on it? Thanks!

It is a 2 group.

hipporun

#2: Post by hipporun »

I'm no expert in the Marzocco market, but it sounds good. So long as there is no damage to the metal, (rust, corrosion, dents?) that sounds very fair for two group.

swanny338

#3: Post by swanny338 »

Send me the info and I'll steal it.
But really, I'm kidding. I would have loved to get a used La Marzocco for less than my Duetto 3, especially since I have plenty of free time and I tend to be reasonably handy. I really just couldn't justify the space it would take up.

maxbmello

#4: Post by maxbmello »

There is a 3 group Linea listed in the Charlotte area for $1,200. Pictures look like it is in good cosmetic shape, but who knows about the internals. If I had the space, or wanted to start my own shop I would be all over that.

Just a heads up for any of those on the East Coast looking.

portamento

#5: Post by portamento »

Around here, a used Linea in good working condition goes for about $4000. My advice is to be prepared for unknown costs when buying a 26-year-old machine, or have a local equipment tech inspect the machine before purchase. Best way to find an equipment tech is to ask your local cafe who they use. Good luck!
Ryan

hipporun

#6: Post by hipporun »

Maybe ask the seller if you can test it out. Bring a pound of coffee, some milk ect. and get a feel for it. If any serious maintenance or repair is needed, I'm sure you will come across it.