Should 18 grams require "striking off"? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by yakster »

No, no such thing as a bottomless basket, you would be able to switch just fine.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

cannonfodder
Team HB

#12: Post by cannonfodder »

You may be able to switch. Problem is a triple basket is very deep. They often do not physically fit in a standard portafilter. The only one I have actually seen work is the cafelat convertible portafilter. The portafilter is very deep and will take a triple basket with the bottom on the portafilter.
Dave Stephens

homeburrero
Team HB

#13: Post by homeburrero »

SonVolt wrote:The basket for the bottomless is indeed much larger than the Profitec's double basket. Apparently it comes with a triple basket.
I believe it's common to get a triple basket included with a bottomless portafilter; I got a La Marzocco triple thrown in when I bought my Rancilio bottomless. Was nice because I already had a double and single basket, and the triple was a new option that would work in the new bottomless (but would have been too deep for my old stock pf.) But that doesn't mean you are expected to use it in the new bottomless - your stock double is better except when you want to try larger doses.

I now have a Cafelat convertible portafilter, and as Dave pointed out, I can use it with a triple basket even when the spouts are attached. I sometimes do that when I want to make two caps or cortados split from a ~20 gram dose.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

isaliveart

#14: Post by isaliveart »

I also have similar question to SonVolt. I'm using a Pharos amd Espresso Parts HQ14 basket. If I overfill and level with a straight edge the dose weighs between 19.5-21.5 grams. If I try to establish a 16g-18g metric for consistency to practice the discipline of grinding for flow, the dose is ALWAYS below the rim. Reading posts about distribution and leveling techniques-the examples invariably show coffee "above the rim" with which to apply techniques-NSEW, Stockfleth, whatever. And the dose weights seem to reflect lower numbers-say 18g or so. So, how come?

So I think, as newer members, with less experience, we think we're doing something wrong. It doesn't help to get flamed for asking.

So the question is: is it valuable to pick a dose and stick with it? How do you determine what that dose is? Or is it better to simply fill the basket and "strike off"? (Which is certainly simpler and easier, but produces a host of different doses-at least with Pharos which is less fluffy and requires ground transfer to the basket.)

Thanks

Nick Name

#15: Post by Nick Name »

isaliveart wrote: So the question is: is it valuable to pick a dose and stick with it? How do you determine what that dose is? Or is it better to simply fill the basket and "strike off"? (Which is certainly simpler and easier, but produces a host of different doses-at least with Pharos which is less fluffy and requires ground transfer to the basket.)
Thanks
Well, since coffee is a thing of personal taste and palate, there is no straight answer to your question. You should pick a dose that you fancy the most. With different coffee that have different attributes it varies. If you go with VST-baskets at least there is a dose that they are designed to work with. But then again with different coffee, you might want a couple of different sized baskets.

That being said, I'm mostly happy with just one 18g VST-basket. I think it works fine with doses ranging from 16-20g. Of course depending from your beans and your grind.

But there is no one who can give you the right answer, because only you can taste what you taste.
That is actually the beauty of the whole thing. :wink:

Marcelnl

#16: Post by Marcelnl »

isaliveart wrote:So the question is: is it valuable to pick a dose and stick with it? How do you determine what that dose is? Or is it better to simply fill the basket and "strike off"? (Which is certainly simpler and easier, but produces a host of different doses-at least with Pharos which is less fluffy and requires ground transfer to the basket.)

Thanks
There are too many variables to handle when you start making espresso, it really helps to only play with one at a time. The tutorials are a great resource in getting to know the variables and what they do. I started with the italian standard 14g dose for doubles and stuck to that until I got the temperature and grind size right for one type of bean. Once a sort of alright point has been found you can start to vary in order to fine tune things. As far as the volume of the grounds, different beans grind differently, some are fluffier than others and there is your grind size. imo the best way is to weigh the input and the output whatever you see folks do, pick techniques that work for you from those videos but keep in mind you'll often see pro's working in a completely different setting than you are so do not try to copy all aspects. At home you'll have the luxury to weigh your grounds, do WDT if required etc, a barista typically does not do all of that.

There is not one way of doing it right, there are many...following the tutorials will show what the variables do and once you have those down you'll be able to start choosing what techniques you may need.
LMWDP #483

HB
Admin

#17: Post by HB »

FYI, I removed some of the last few posts that violated the site's Guidelines for productive online discussion. I respectfully remind members to review the guidelines before contributing to this thread. Thanks.
isaliveart wrote:So I think, as newer members, with less experience, we think we're doing something wrong. It doesn't help to get flamed for asking.
If someone flames your post, instead of replying in kind, please use the "Report a post" button (it looks like an exclamation point) and a moderator will handle it. Thanks.
Dan Kehn

baldheadracing
Team HB

#18: Post by baldheadracing »

Examples of dosing below the rim:

New (Free) Gwilym Davies Barista Training Videos

or Heather Perry's YouTube video.

Dose mass is typically given by your roaster. I would start with their recommendations for dose and brew ratio for the particular beans that you are pulling.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

isaliveart

#19: Post by isaliveart »

Gwilym's vids helped. I've been struggling with trying to apply "Newbie" dosing guidelines to double baskets that leave the dose well below the rim of the basket, thereby making "grooming" moves impossible.

I've been watching pro baristas when I have the opportunity. They often confirm Gwil's approach: dose by weight, light, level tamp, done-no grooming.

Thanks