Bitter Espresso Extraction - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
spressomon

#21: Post by spressomon »

^ voodoo lower shaft support and bottom plate (used a Dynafile to sand & polish the top flat surface of the upper bearing support to a knife edge...one less place for grounds to collect ;)); flexible plastic catch bowl; split style locking collar with SS pointer; 360 degree scale. I locked the burr screws down tight after aligning the burrs. This really made the difference keeping the burrs aligned when grinding lighter roasts.

Sidebar: The one mod that no one, to the best of my knowledge, has come up with: A better solution to the flat rubber washer that serves as a bean popper stopper. Doesn't effect the grind but would otherwise smooth out the workflow at bean entry.
No Espresso = Depresso

TonyBo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by TonyBo (original poster) »

Thanks!

spressomon

#23: Post by spressomon »

Also FWIW there have been many that have covered the subject of water and its impart on the flavor of coffee.

Here's one you might find relative: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsZ-ux2bEp0

Credit Craig Seko aka baldheadracing for posting the above link in Knockbox
No Espresso = Depresso

baldheadracing
Team HB

#24: Post by baldheadracing »

spressomon wrote:Sidebar: The one mod that no one, to the best of my knowledge, has come up with: A better solution to the flat rubber washer that serves as a bean popper stopper. Doesn't effect the grind but would otherwise smooth out the workflow at bean entry.
Pharos mod - Tray (post#1 and post#4 - I have seen the post#4 pictured somewhere.)

My new-to-me Pharos is totally stock, but I am finding technique alleviates the need for some mods, e.g., a thrust bearing isn't needed if you hold the grinder down with the non-turning hand, so the turning hand just turns, it doesn't locate or push down; and a little water (RDT) does wonders for getting the grinds out. However, loading/containing the beans is on the this-just-bugs-me-sometimes list - there are some ideas floating around in my head 8).
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

RepackEspresso

#25: Post by RepackEspresso »

I think we need to bear Occam's Razor in mind here; most bad extractions, in my experience, are due to poor quality beans or a badly dialled in coffee. Check these first before looking for more arcane reasons, like equipment or water chemistry.

JP