Grinders combo selection for a Cafe

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Séb

#1: Post by Séb »

I'd like some advices to help me make my decision between theses two combos of grinders for a new Cafe. The espresso machine we will use will be a Londinium L2.

Combo #1: Malhkonig
K30 Vario for Decaf
K30 Air for espresso
EK43 for brew coffee

Combo #2: Compak
E10 for Decaf
E10 Master for espresso
R120 for brew coffee

We will also sell coffee beans and offer to our customers to grind them with the EK/R120 grinder.

Both are good selection in a similar price range. The biggest difference i think is E10 VS K30 or flat versus conical, of course always the same hesitation :wink: Grind retention will be higher in the E10 but in a commercial Cafe i don't see that as a big problem.

Thanks

Prescott CR

#2: Post by Prescott CR »

So YOU are the customer in Canada getting the L2, good deal!

Either on of those two combinations look to be enviable. Reiss liked the R120 over the EK43, but that might have been when it came to just pulling shots with them. I'm thinking the R120 *should* be a better grinder overall but that's just speculation. The same goes for a big conical over big flat for espresso, I would think the conical would be better but I haven't used those two grinders close enough together in time to really give a definitive opinion. I've had coffee from the K30 and K10 Fresh years ago and both were more than adequate!

You might wind up having to purge more coffee with a big conical, if you do things right. Particularly on the decaf grinder. It is nice to have 2 of the same grinder model in case one goes down (very, very rare). You can also switch them between decaf / caff and keep the burr wear even when you clean them out once a month or so.

Good for you getting some GOOD equipment.
-Richard

Séb (original poster)

#3: Post by Séb (original poster) »

Finally we have decided to go with the EK43 and a K30 Twins to save some space and money. If the Café is going well, we will add a second L2 with an other barista station (grinder, tamper, knock box, etc.). That was the plan anyway. Now just need to get the sale volume :)

Thanks