Upgrade Macap M4 to doserless

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
murzik

#1: Post by murzik »

I own Macap M4 stepless for about 10 years, which is fine grinder and serves me well. I would like to upgrade to modern on demand doserless grinder. Strictly for home use and to fit under kitchen cabinet.
I am considering Baratza Vario as first choice or Ceado e37s as second choice. How big is the difference in the cup between Macap, Baratza and Ceado?
Any others to consider, that will fit under cabinet?

DeGaulle

#2: Post by DeGaulle »

I recently came across the ECM S64 Automatik but haven't decided on it just yet. Not sure about its availability in N America, but it does fit comfortably underneath cabinets 18" off the countertop, while it has 64 mm flat burrs and a 400 W motor. Price tag is about EUR. 750.- over here. Don't know how the quality in the cup compares to the M4 though.
Bert

clivecoffee
Sponsor

#3: Post by clivecoffee »

We just got the T64 (Profitec's version of that grinder) in for testing, and so far it's been excellent. This is a great mid point between the Vario and the big flat burrs, with great cost savings and small foot print.

I like how the T64's Mazzer-esque doserless chute is more easily swept out for those concerned by retention. The performance is the best I've experienced so far in a compact commercial grinder, it's build quality is totally confidence inspiring, and it will be priced well under a Mazzer Mini E. Stainless steel case, beefy stainless steel worm drive, chunky metal buttons for single and double shot doses (or hold for manual grind), and a noticeably faster and fluffier grind than anything else under $1200. By contrast, after using a commercial Macap for so long, you may be a little let down by the less substantial feel of the Vario. It's great performance for the money, but it's not a commercial grinder.

This Super Jolly class of performance should be a noticeable flavor upgrade, but I'm not sure your palette will notice the next jump to the 75-83mm burrs as much. More of our customers are saving up for conical than large flat burrs, because the performance jump is even more distinct. If you ever want to chat grinders on the phone, let me know :D

@BP

murzik (original poster)

#4: Post by murzik (original poster) »

I would step up to big conical, but I have not found one to fit under cabinet. :(

clivecoffee
Sponsor

#5: Post by clivecoffee »

Yep, the cost and size are a major barrier we're trying to work on this year. What are your cabinet requirements? We're going to have some custom mini hoppers made for the M7D and MXD, which should keep the height around 16 inches. I'm also interested to see how the M7D does with no hopper, because that would make it clear cabinets even more easily.

@BP

murzik (original poster)

#6: Post by murzik (original poster) »

I can go up to 17 inches. But I definitely want hopper.