Leaving your espresso machine on for 24/7 + simple calculation of costs

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Gaius

#1: Post by Gaius »

Hi,

i just made a quick calculation about running costs for a DB machine (steam boiler off) and i took 100W into calculation. You have to bear in mind that this excluded the initial 1200W punch for a few minutes.

That makes a 0.015€ per hour and 0,36€ per day.
Which sums up to 10,8€ per month averaging a 30day per month.
I am located in Slovenia, next to Italy if anyone is interested of comparing electric costs.

Now, here is where i need you guys, could I be completely safe and fully confident that i can leave my Alex Duetto 3 running 24/7 without any overheating or similar problems?

Thank you for your input

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

I can't speak for your machine. In general, parts that wear when operating, hot, or when carrying current will fail earlier, while parts that wear from heating and cooling, that is, when the machine is turned on or off, will last longer. Espresso machines overwhelmingly contain parts of the later kind -- pipes, seals, electrical, connectors, etc, that get all their wear and tear from the expansion and contraction of turning on or off. The exception is the heating element and any mechanical switches such as a Sirai pstat whose wear and tear is proportional to running time. So, for most machines, 24/7 means less leaks, seal replacements, and major problems, but more replacements of heaters and switch gear.

That being said, I am very sure, although not certain, that the savings in repair costs letting the machine idle 24/7 is dwarfed by the added operating cost.
Jim Schulman

Compass Coffee

#3: Post by Compass Coffee »

another_jim wrote:That being said, I am very sure, although not certain, that the savings in repair costs letting the machine idle 24/7 is dwarfed by the added operating cost.
I'm just as sure, and certain, you are wrong at least for my area. Cost of electricity 8.16c per kwh coming to about $72 per year cost to leave machine on 24x7. About 1 hour labor charge if having someone work on your machine. And that $72 annual figure is assuming 100w continuous average consumption which I believe is high idling.
Mike McGinness