Confused about definition of "ristretto" - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Eastsideloco

#11: Post by Eastsideloco »

Wiccanrista wrote:...the last two baristas I asked said the correct answer was the latter.
Here's the deal. If a customer walks in and orders a ristretto at a cafe that isn't already pulling ristrettos, the barista isn't likely to change the grind setting for that one customer. As a shortcut, the barista can approximate a ristretto by basically pulling a short shot.

However, if you want to prepare the best tasting ristretto, you want to tighten the grind setting. This shot will likely run a little longer than a normale and output less liquid. This is how you get a thick syrupy ristretto, which tastes quite a bit different than a "short shot."

Technically, both methods produce a beverage that meets the basic parameters of a ristretto:

Brewing ratios for espresso beverages

But I would say that the latter is the goal and the former is a work-around.

HB
Admin

#12: Post by HB »

I've deleted a few posts and edited out commentary that was counter to the Guidelines for productive online discussion; please move along. Thanks.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#13: Post by HB »

Eastsideloco wrote: If a customer walks in and orders a ristretto at a cafe that isn't already pulling ristrettos, the barista isn't likely to change the grind setting for that one customer. As a shortcut, the barista can approximate a ristretto by basically pulling a short shot.
Or updosing a couple grams.
Dan Kehn

Eastsideloco

#14: Post by Eastsideloco replying to HB »

Yes. Although this is probably a simpler proposition on some grinders than others.

Double Shot

#15: Post by Double Shot »

How critical is time in this equation? I guess the lower shot volume/weight accounts for the higher dose?
LMWDP #480.

jang

#16: Post by jang »

To add another facet to the mirror:

From what I know, (using a single spout) a ristretto should have between .7 and .9 oz. I use that formula - got it from Seattle Coffee Gear via YouTube - and get the most wonderful espressos. -Let me know it you don't taste a difference there. :D

Best
Jan