Pasquini Livietta (Olympia Maximatic) rebuild - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
UltramaticOrange (original poster)

#11: Post by UltramaticOrange (original poster) »

next hurdle: The official replacement safety thermostat (the resettable one under the boiler) does not fit properly due to a wide silver lip/mounting bracket. I'm assuming this is due to a difference between vintage and newer machines. Anyone else face this same issue?

edit:
looks like this jobber would to the trick. Any experience with it? http://www.espressocare.com/products/it ... ostat-127c
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

#12: Post by UltramaticOrange (original poster) »

I'm at the point where I could take a few of the exterior parts to the buffing wheel. Trick is, it'd doubtless take the logo off. I thought I'd field opinions on the subject.

forbeskm

#13: Post by forbeskm »

I think there is a video by oe on the thermostats. I had to space my new one out with a few washers. As long as you have contact it should be fine. Be careful bending ears as they can break things.

#14: Post by UltramaticOrange (original poster) »

Thanks, Mike. Here's the video in case anyone comes along with the same issue.
I've gone ahead and ordered the La Pavoni thermostat. It's rated for 3°C cooler than the one for the Maximatic, I'm hoping that 6°F isn't enough to cause issues.

Because there hasn't been any opinions on buffing off the Pasquini logo, and because it's not going to get any prettier with age, I've decided to go ahead and buff it off.

#15: Post by UltramaticOrange (original poster) »

The La Pavoni thermostat using OE's four-cent solution. Diameter is quite small, but seems it'll do the trick.

#16: Post by UltramaticOrange (original poster) »

After a lot of research, I've put in an order for some foil-backed melamine Insulation. Once that arrives and I get around to buffing some parts, I can finish putting the ol' girl back together.

While researching, I found carbon fiber fabric. One of the suggested uses was for high temperature seals and I'm wondering, has anyone tried it as a gasket?

#17: Post by UltramaticOrange (original poster) »

I've discovered how easy it is to change the graphics on the switches. Any creative ideas?

#18: Post by UltramaticOrange (original poster) »

Insulated the boiler with some foil backed melamine. The backing did a lot to prevent the melamine from taking a lot of nicks and scrapes, but really doesn't want to stay attached.

McMaster-Carr item 9249K21

As a side note, I got to play with fire today and was surprised to discover that burning gasket doesn't really smell all that bad (although my nose might be too backed up with sawdust to really be able to tell).