E61 Brew Pressure Escape (Help!)

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ontum

#1: Post by ontum »

Hello,

I am trying to get my new to me VFA Express up and going. It is a plumbed in machine. I received the machine in none working order and with the pump off. I sent the pump off and it was rebuilt nicely and quickly by JC Beverage. The auto fill controller box melted the pins and I sent it to Boyt Enterprises and it was fixed up nicely and in a quick manner. I also replaced the leaking water inlet solenoid because it was cracked and leaking.

While waiting for parts, I decided to take the group head apart and freshen it up. I have never working on an E61 group head, but I think I got everything back together correctly last night with new seals.

When I fired the thing up for the first time everything seemed to be in good order. However I have run into some issues. Once the machine was up to temp, the small copper line in the picture below continually leaks into the black drip tray. And when I put a blind portafilter into the group and turned it on, I get a good flow of water from this same pipe into the black drip trap. I tried to plug this pipe with my finger and then water started coming out the exhaust of the group head, even though the group was in the run position.

Anyone know what the thing is with the yellow arrow pointed at it?

Have I plumbed in this machine correctly? I put the incoming water line pressure directly to the pump. From the pump outlet I ran the hose to the valve thing above with the yellow arrow. I have no idea what the other fitting on the bracket is for with the pipe thread and nipple on the other end. I bent this bracket with the fitting a little bit to make room for the bigger water inlet solenoid.

Any help is much appreciated. Maybe this is as simple as having the group head lever cam in the wrong position? I don't know.

Thank you for any and all help or thoughts,
Craig

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Sounds like this one is keeping you busy.

That part (arrow) appears to be the pressure relief valve ant I would recommend taking it off, disassembling it, and giving it a good look see and cleaning. It looks like it is adjustable (from the photo I would guess that the thin locknut allows the threaded part to be screwed in or out - "in" should raise the release pressure).

Did you replace the valve seals and inspect the valve seats in the group when you disassembled it?
This might help:
For more detail on the E-61 group, see these two articles on my website:
How-To 18 - Simple Lubrication of the E-61 Group
How-To 19 - Overhauling and Lubricating the E-61 Group
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
ontum (original poster)

#3: Post by ontum (original poster) »

Thank you very much for the reply.

I cant seem to find any pressure relief valves on the parts sights that look anything like this. So hopefully it goes by a different name, or mine isn't bad. I will take mine apart this evening and see if it is adjustable or dirty.

I did replace the valve seals, and I thought it went together as it should have, but it was my first look at the E61 style group head. I will also take another look at the exhaust valves to see if everything is seated properly.

Any other advise or thoughts?

ontum (original poster)

#4: Post by ontum (original poster) »

It looks like that pressure relief valve may be called a non return valve. I can't find a source for it, but I think that is what it is called.

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. replying to ontum »

With older machines, and bad translations of original parts diagrams, and who how many hands have monkeyed with this machine, it does look like a non-return or one-way valve. But those are normally not adjustable and are placed between the pump and the machine so that expanding water doesn't get pushed back into or through the pump. Being that this one drains into a waste pan I figured that it was a pressure relief or pressure regulating valve, or a safety valve of some sort.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

cannonfodder
Team HB

#6: Post by cannonfodder »

That is a pressure release valve for the closed hydraulics. You have a sealed system. When the lines have cool water in them from use, as the machine sits it will slowly heat and the pressure in the pipes increase. That is normal, but with no outlet for that pressure it will continue to build until something bursts. That little valve is a spring and ball valve. So when the pressure in the sealed system gets over 12 or so bar the valve opens so water can drip out to release the pressure. That is normal. Now if you are getting water gushing out with a blind basket you have 1 of 2 issues. Either your pump pressure is over 12 bar and the valve is doing what it is designed to do, or the spring is worn out and it is venting at a much lower pressure. Have you checked the pressure on your newly rebuilt pump?
Dave Stephens

ontum (original poster)

#7: Post by ontum (original poster) replying to cannonfodder »

Thank you for the information. I have not checked the pump pressure and I don't believe a way to on this machine. I made a portafilter pressure gauge combo for la Cimbali, but that wont fit. What is the easiest way to get pump pressure on this machine?

Advertisement
ontum (original poster)

#8: Post by ontum (original poster) »

Hello,

I took apart the group head and very carefully put it back together. It still does not seem like the exhaust valves are being released at all. After I use a blind portafilter, the pressure does not release from the group until I take off the portafilter. Are my valves worn down to much to release the pressure? Should I just buy new valves from espresso parts? Can I just space the little top of the valve up a bit on the exhaust valves to test and see if this is the problem?

I took a video to illustrate. The gauge on the portafilter goes up to 160 PSI. Is my pump pressure too high, or do I need a higher range gauge to tell?

[youtube]http://youtu.be/CmK_yc8yFvo[/youtube]
***Anyone know why this wont display? I read the how to post video and I cant figure it out.
Here is the link to the video.

I took apart the pressure release valve and adjusted it all the way in so the maximum pressure was on the spring. It still flows out quickly with a blind portafilter and still no water out the exhaust of the group head. Is this pressure relief valve? If so, I'm not sure how to replace it. Any ideas?

Also my line pressure coming in is 6-7 bar. Is this a problem?

ontum (original poster)

#9: Post by ontum (original poster) »

A little good news.

I was able to find a similar looking valve on this site that lists non return valves and expansion valves. I was able to throw that number into CafeParts and find the valve. As a bonus they also offered the seals and springs for that valve, so I purchased the seals and springs and home to have a good unit when installed.

I also ordered a new cam for the E61, and new square spindles for my valves, along with a new complete lower valve. These should be all the parts that would wear over time and possible be below specification to prohibit the valves from opening. If I have time before the parts come, I will try and find small washers to shim the square valve pins up to see if the valves open up then.

Any thoughts?