Specs for 5kilo or 10lb coffee roaster machine

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Jackfruit

#1: Post by Jackfruit »

I'm seriously intending to build a gas-fired 5 kilo or 10lb coffee roaster. I have been researching the various home roaster forums for specs for a 5kilo roaster but have only found a smattering of information. I have been following the postings of Ringo, Homeroaster's Ed Needham, The WildHarvest, AllenB, Jim Schulman and many others..

I do have tons of info researched on 5 lb roasters which i think i can also use on this 10 lb roaster. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone from this great gathering of innovative and generous coffee roasting machine builders in giving me directions to get started properly on this newfound challenge of mine. I would also appreciate if you can shoot me some links and resources (and to roasters who have already built this kind of roaster) to more information sources about building this dream machine.

I need information/specs on the basic parts of the machine: Drum Size (length and diameter), Motor that can power the drum, Info on Burner that can handle the 5 kilo load. I already have some info on Exhaust Fan, the Vane configuration inside the drum, the kind of metal to use for the drum, Airflow considerations, thermocouple, pid stuff, and other parts.

I am also right now working on a computerized drawing of the design, but I do need some of the basic missing specs above. I have contact with a friend machinist who can promptly make this roaster a reality based on my drawings, specs and research. I will be posting my progress report on this project with pictures and descriptions so that others can also benefit from all your assistance on this project.

Thank you in advance..

JK

#2: Post by JK »

If I were you I would contact Steve at Mill City and ask if you can buy the components for a North 5 or 10K roaster IE: Burners, Electronics even the front SS face plate and bean door components.. That would make it look very professional and save you a ton of work..
They may share with you drum sizes and dimensions..
I think even with up charges of handling they may cost less than buying them local..
They may even throw in a wiring diagram for a charge..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!