Compak F10 Grind Settings

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
vesteroid

#1: Post by vesteroid »

I got my f10 in this week and have been playing with it. I find I had to reduce my grind setting to around the 160 mark on a scale of 0-800

I find it odd I had to go that low to get a 18 gram shot to pull anywhere near 30 seconds.

Is anyone else using this, and what is your grind setting?

One more question, I am turning the knob with the grinder NOT running, as I THINK thats what it says to do in the manual....is that correct?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

A general rule you should apply to any electric grinder is to not adjust the grind finer without it running.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

vesteroid (original poster)

#3: Post by vesteroid (original poster) »

I just went to compaks site and watched their quick start video (why didnt I do this first) anyway, seems the grinder does NOT have to be running when adjusting the knob, as they did not have it running when they did it.

I suppose general does not apply to all.

Prescott CR

#4: Post by Prescott CR »

Even if that is true, why not run it? That does two things- minimizes stress on the burrs and kicks out any of the retained coffee from the previous grind setting. Even if that amount is minimal.

The only grinder manual I've seen that didn't specifically mention turning the grinder on was the Swift from LM. The manual DOES say to dump the next dose or two before you'll get the new grind setting...
-Richard

#5: Post by vesteroid (original poster) »

I see the point, but from 400 to 150 is a lot of cranks running, and I suspect that would have been a pound or coffee or more.

I guess if I screwed up the adjustment, it really doesn't matter now.

I do see a video on the site about replacing the burrs which shows how to recenter them.

So I can at least fix it if I have screwed up, just cant figure out if I have or not.

Prescott CR

#6: Post by Prescott CR »

YES, that is a lot!

Might be worth emptying the hopper and making that big of an adjustment :)
-Richard

#7: Post by vesteroid (original poster) »

I see your point, and I knew someone would make that funny...

but, when I started and pulled one shot at the factory setting, I had NO IDEA how far I would have to go to get to where I needed to be. I bet I used a half pound just getting it set up as I did. Had I run coffee through it each time.....

Not to mention it took me probably 6 tries to find the sweet spot.

Still hoping someone who actually uses one will chime in with where they have their set

Whale

#8: Post by Whale »

I have it set between 48 and 56 for most coffee, depending on type, roast level and dose.
Right now it is running at 54 for a Full city 18 gram dose Sumatra.

I find that certain grinder have no problem with cnahinging setting without the motor running up to a certain point. Too much and it will wedge the coffee between the burr and could jam the motor.
For the F10. I find that it really is best to run the motor. YMMV.

I truly do not know how accurate the position sensing device is between 2 grinders. I Have changed the grind adjustment mechanism and the burr on my machine. There probably will be a +/-5 on the sensing position between grinders but that is just a guess.
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.

Prescott CR

#9: Post by Prescott CR »

Vesteroid- chances are you'll be chasing the right setting for a while until the grinder is 'broken in' so don't feel like you're struggling. That is, assuming the grinder is brand new. Great pick, BTW. When I got my HG-One new it settled on one setting and then after a week I was tightening it by a 1/4 turn where it has since settled in. These things happen, hopefully you'll have an easy time with it.

As for your particular numbers being close to someone elses- don't sweat that too much either. The right grind setting number is that which gives you the right number of grams in the right number of seconds. Also, is that number re-settable like the Compak K8 Fresh is?

I know it's not much help to say this now but- in general when buying a new grinder or even just replacing burrs I was taught to tighten the burrs all the way down with an empty hopper after everything was nice and clean. Then unscrew the moveable burr 1/4 turn and start there. That is probably difficult with the Compaks and their adjustment knob but I bet you could probably look into it somehow and do that. Of course, this doesn't help as you'll have to go through something like 1200# of coffee before changing the burrs!

Do keep us updated on how you like the F10, it should be a great investment.
-Richard

Steve52

#10: Post by Steve52 »

I just recv'd some training on my new Compak F10. The unit must be on to change the grind setting, doesn't mean you have to grind thru coffee to change it. If the unit is not on then the position does not change. Also, the numbers are relative positions. It starts out at zero from wherever the burrs are positioned and the changes are relative from there. Once you fine tune you can zero it out for a new zero at that position. With the unit ON and mode set in "pre-select", then dial the setting to the point where the burrs touch and the adjustment will no longer turn CW. During this time DO NOT ACTUATE GRINDING (do not hit GRIND button on face - do not hit the DOSER button down by the portafilter holder). Once you reach the mechanical zero point for the burrs, back off about 50 for safety and than go into the Grind Settings menu to "Grind Settings" (after Grind Settings- Pause) than hit "menu" button to zero out the relative position. From there I dialed out counter-clockwise for Coarser about 200 or so, and began to test the batches until I got it into acceptable Espresso range. Then went back in and reset the relative grind setting to 0/840. So from there you can make it finer or coarser depending on different beans, etc and always come back to relative zero position. I'm still working on calibrating the dose size and timing.