Nuova Simonelli Oscar - Green bits in brew head

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
LukeFlynn

#1: Post by LukeFlynn »

Hey there! Even though I'm hoping to sell my Oscar soon, I can't live without espresso, so I unpacked my exquisite packaging and booted up the Oscar. I let it get up to temperature, yay, I have steam. Well, brewing is another story. A VERY slow trickle was coming out of the group.. very slow. So, I tore the Oscar down to the frame, and removed the three way, in the group opening I found green bits just sitting in there, on the solenoid, and in the group. I can't decided if they are plastic or scale.. I did just do a descale (2 days ago) and I could see how they could get stuck there if that was stone.. but it also looks like some plastic substance. I don't have a picture, but that's about as well as I can describe it. I put the Oscar back together, and I have brew pressure again, but I notice it takes a while for the pump to build up pressure and the first drops to come out (10-12 seconds), this is using just a typical brew ratio of 1:2, no ristrettos. I've been watching some videos, and other machines seem to take more like 3-5 seconds. I just replaced the pump a few months ago, but It could be possible I got a faulty unit. Any Ideas?

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#2: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

Problem seems to have fixed itself, I'm pretty sure it was scale. On the bright side... my shots are very tasty. :) This coffee is almost 4 weeks old, and I can tell.. but it's about 10 times better than what I was getting before I recalibrated myself and descaled.

Advertisement
cuppajoe

#3: Post by cuppajoe »

Did you check all the small O-rings in the water circuit? Some are colored green, and there have been reports of them disintegrating and causing havoc. The bits can migrate and clog things.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#4: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

That might just be it, they looked pretty big to be o rings.