[Huky 500] (Nearly) killing heat for FC/FC+ roasts? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
SJM

#11: Post by SJM »

Here's what I did when I started using the HUKY, and I am sure I posted the profiles over at the HUKY forum, but it's worth a look: Turn on and Start Artisan when you turn the HUKY on to warm it up and record a profile of the warm-up itself.

I did it with different settings until I found a combination that gave me a settled relationship between the three readings, and that had BT at just about the charge temp I wanted. In all cases, MET stays higher than the other three for me. My preferred (who knows if it is best) way to warm up is to start off at a medium rate of heat for 5 minutes and then to drop even lower for another 5. I set the fan at about 50% for the full 10+ minutes. Kpa starts at 1.5 and then I drop it to .5. When I charge I crank the Kpa to 3.5 to compensate for the impact of the room temperature beans....

It's all very curious....call me George...

Susan

akiley

#12: Post by akiley »

SJM wrote: SNIP start off at a medium rate of heat for 5 minutes and then to drop even lower for another 5. I set the fan at about 50% for the full 10+ minutes. Kpa starts at 1.5 and then I drop it to .5. When I charge I crank the Kpa to 3.5 to compensate for the impact of the room temperature beans....
Susan
I tried this type of preheat (logging it) a few weeks ago with not much success. Maybe your 50% fan setting is the key. High fan seems to accelerate heating radically if there is a high gas flow, but does the opposite with a low gas setting. High fan also brings MET down quickly. Maybe thats how you can get MET lower at charge. How do you set the shutter on preheat?

My problem is that I had to run gas super low, then felt I didn't have good momentum to get drying done as quickly as I prefer. I can charge, then add full gas, but it seems there is a lag compared to charging while the heat as already rising fast. Also wonder if our Huky roasters have enough thermal mass to make much of a difference.

SJM

#13: Post by SJM »

Shutter is open.

And I don't think either of us has "a problem". I was just curious.
My temps have not been turning until they have dropped to below 200. They get to dry fast enough, but drop a bit farther than I like, so I may try your way to get them to turn a bit sooner/higher...:-))

akiley

#14: Post by akiley replying to SJM »

I just tried logging a preheat using your method. At the low gas setting you suggest and 50% fan, all the probes climb nicely together. I like this because I've read that too high a MET can cause scorching. Here is the graph. A few thing of note. When I open the shutter, the BT climbs quickly. I even tried half closing the shutter and got a nice gradual rise in BT. Nice tool to have.

Thanks for this tip. It's in stark contrast to where I was previously with preheating. I like it.

thepilgrimsdream

#15: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

If it tastes good, roll with it! Most of my Brazils I've found that a longer development time increases the depth and mouthfeel quite a bit

hipporun (original poster)

#16: Post by hipporun (original poster) »

akiley wrote:I tried this type of preheat (logging it) a few weeks ago with not much success. Maybe your 50% fan setting is the key. High fan seems to accelerate heating radically if there is a high gas flow, but does the opposite with a low gas setting. High fan also brings MET down quickly. Maybe thats how you can get MET lower at charge. How do you set the shutter on preheat?

My problem is that I had to run gas super low, then felt I didn't have good momentum to get drying done as quickly as I prefer. I can charge, then add full gas, but it seems there is a lag compared to charging while the heat as already rising fast. Also wonder if our Huky roasters have enough thermal mass to make much of a difference.
Absolutely. If I run fan too high while pre heating I fall behind on getting ready.

SJM

#17: Post by SJM »

Here's the profile of my warmup
Well, scratch that; I can't seem to upload the file.
Sorry...."error parsing server response" whatever that means...

SJM

#18: Post by SJM »

Okay, something changed, here's my warmup profile