Nuova Simonelli Oscar or Expobar Office Lever

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
TheSilence

#1: Post by TheSilence »

Greetings!

I'm looking to upgrade to an HX machine after using a Gran Gaggia for the past 4 years!

I currently have a QUAMAR M80 grinder, so I should be fine grind-wise...(right?)

These two machines are in the same price range.

I'm concerned with reliability, as when I search for threads on the Expobar Office, it seems like most of what comes up is reliability issues!

But the looks, exposed e61 style group and gauges definitely seem like pluses over the somewhat 'naked' nuova simonelli.

What do you think? And I HAVE searched but a lot of info I find seems outdated...

Anything else to consider? I really can't spend more than $1200 here... (I'm ALREADY stretching my budget)

rittem1

#2: Post by rittem1 »

well, if it were me and I wanted an HX machine I would save up a bit more money for a few months and look at something with better reliability. A Bezzera BZ10 is on sale right now thru WLL for $1400. You will be paying a little more for a much better machine and potentially better re-sale value down the road.
LMWDP #517

number9

#3: Post by number9 »

I am not sure of the quality of the Expobar now, but I purchased one in 2005. Replaced the pump multiple times, the pressure stat so many times I lost count, and the heating element at least twice. I did have some hard water, but I rectified that and flushed it completely. The machine was easy enough to work on, but at the time the service and support from WLL was awful. I could pull up emails that would seem unbelievable to most normal people. They say that they have fixed those service issues.

Again, not sure about the service/support/quality today. I think the machine was alright. I think there are better units out there for the money, however.

LukeFlynn

#4: Post by LukeFlynn »

I own an Oscar (Currently for sale on CG to make room for a DB machine), I enjoy using it. The steaming power is superb, looks much more powerful than the Expobar in videos I've seen. If the Expobar has flow restrictors installed from the factory, I would probably go for that. The Oscar has no flow restrictors, making it a "Dragon" HX.. It requires a pretty consistent flush routine, but if you nail it you can get great shots. That said, if you are handy, you can install the flow restrictors from the Musica and get much better temperature stability.. I'm still considering doing it instead of getting a DB machine. At the end of the day, looking at the specs, I'd presume shot quality will be the same.. the most notable difference is the appearance... I really dislike the huge Expobar logo, but the Oscar is plastic.. it's a toss up for me.

Gig103

#5: Post by Gig103 »

I actually liked the red plastic of the Oscar and smaller form, but decided to go with an E61. Saving a little longer and getting a non-Expobar is the advice I followed, based on (admittedly anecdotal) feedback like number9 posted. I saw my purchase as buying a service relationship and not just a device so I opted for something from Chris Coffee.