How do I lower the shot volume in a La Pavoni?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
gimpy

#1: Post by gimpy »

I have a new la pavoni (ESC-8). My shots now weigh over 30 grams and I would like to get them under that.

I use 14 gms of coffee and do a single pull down of the arm after a 10-12 second preinfusion. I've tried 12 to 15 second draws, as well 25 second ones. I've upped the coffee to 15 grams a couple of times and fiddled with the grind. I'm still over 30 grams, the last pull was closer to a 34 gram shot. So, what controls the output? What do I do to get it to 27-28 grams or less?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Adjust your grind so that the shot hasn't yellowed at your desired volume/weight yet and pull your cup away.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

gimpy (original poster)

#3: Post by gimpy (original poster) »

Ah, <slaps forehead >, didn't even think about pulling the cup away. So simple. :>[

Would you suggest a finer or coarser grind as, currently, the shots seem to start blonding pretty quickly (6 or 7 seconds or so after start of the pull)?

Thx, TomC.

jonr

#4: Post by jonr »

Grind so fine that you have to really lean into it at the beginning and it takes 25-30 seconds to get the desired volume. Ease off on the pressure as the shot progresses to maintain something close to a constant (or decreasing) flow rate.