Arrarex Caravel - U cup question.

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ripvanmd

#1: Post by ripvanmd »

My first Caravel purchase is a complete tear down project and has no portafilter....so another complete machine in fair condition has arrived impenetrably wrapped in packing tape. When testing this one (V 1.1) I note that on the downstroke the water freely refluxes into the boiler. Does this implicate the U cups or the small o ring as the culprit? They all seem soft and pliable. I have ordered some Dow 111 as I've read that the fit can improve with use and lube.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#2: Post by EspressoForge replying to ripvanmd »

It could be either, but I think more likely is one of the main seals. The small oring tends to dislodge or completely blow out on a high force pull. So unless it was cracked I wouldn't think it would be that.

Still I would suggest replacing all the seals anyway at some point. This set should last you a long time if they are in stock: http://www.brooks-espressomachines.nl/shop

Since you have lubricant coming, that seems like a good first step, and should allow you to use the current seals for a while until you can get replacements.

ripvanmd (original poster)

#3: Post by ripvanmd (original poster) »

Ordered some from OE and will likely just switch them out. I'm weary of international shipping though I will probably order some from Brooksespresso. I hear that they are working on filterbaskets for the caravel.

[creative nickname]

#4: Post by [creative nickname] »

I much prefer the brooks seals over the OE set, FWIW. The OE ones had a tendency to lose pressure under a hard pill, at least on my V1.
LMWDP #435

#5: Post by ripvanmd (original poster) »

Brooks it is. Emailing straightaway.

#6: Post by ripvanmd (original poster) »

So, while waiting for the Brooks seals, I've installed the OE ones. How much resistance should I be feeling on the downstroke without coffee? Feeling very little. Lubricated with Dow 111.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#7: Post by EspressoForge replying to ripvanmd »

Do you see coffee water going back into the boiler with new seals still? Or just resistance is very low? New seals & fresh lube should make a very low resistance pull without coffee in there. It will build up over time as the lubricant wears away and fouls up.

With coffee and water you should be able to build as much pressure as you'd like until the o-ring blows out.

#8: Post by ripvanmd (original poster) »

There was initially leaking from the portafilter at the top of the stroke which decreased after a while. I think it is still refluxing but I will have to look more closely. Additionally, in my haste I neglected to install the OE spacers around the U cups. Hopefully, when I actually do it correctly, it should work better (at least until the Brooks seals arrive).