Vibiemme Double Domo, pre 2011 manual or setup help

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
buzzmc

#1: Post by buzzmc »

All,

I have an older Vibiemme Double PID machine, bought back in 2007 I believe.

I just went through and did a lot of rebuilding/maintenance... One heating element died, lots of scale, etc. So kind of an overhaul.

I seem to remember there was a specific procedure to be able to initially start up the machine, and it needed to be followed as to not burn out one of the heating elements.

Anyone know where I can download an old copy of the manual, or knows the process I need to follow to get my machine up and running again?

Thanks!

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

If you simply turn the switch to position I, no heating elements come on but the machine is otherwise operational. Let the steam boiler fill first, check the reservoir level, and then fill the brew boiler by simply lifting the brew lever. When water flows steadily from the grouphead, turn the switch to position II and the boilers should start to heat up.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

stefano65
Sponsor

#3: Post by stefano65 »

Bryan you have my reply to your email by now with more details in regards,

Eric a little note to make
IF the PID was not previously turned off
powering I it will power the Heating Element and if the brew boiler is empty (sound like so from the overhaul he made)
then it will be exposed with no water inside the boiler
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

I'm certain that Stefano is correct so, possibly, the safest course of action is to simply disconnect one of the leads to each heating element.

However, the idea behind having a two position power switch was (as far as I know) to avoid the EXACT situation that Bryan is facing in the startup of a "new" machine.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

erics wrote:However, the idea behind having a two position power switch was (as far as I know) to avoid the EXACT situation that Bryan is facing in the startup of a "new" machine.
The current DD switch is (if memory serves):
0 - off
1 - brew boiler on, steam boiler off
2 - both boilers on
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

buzzmc (original poster)

#6: Post by buzzmc (original poster) »

Thanks all.

All is working. Rather involved overhaul, but new heating elements in, steam wand repaired, gaskets replaced (good lord I hope this new grouphead gasket shrinks a bit, its a tight fight right now), and machine's been descaled.

Now off to find "proper" home use maintenance advice.... Of which I am sure there's a lot around here and other parts :)